Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AKC Code of Sportsmanship

AKC Code of Sportsmanship
PREFACE: The sport of purebred dog competitive events dates prior to 1884, the year of
AKC’s birth. Shared values of those involved in the sport include principles of sportsmanship.
They are practiced in all sectors of our sport: conformation, performance and companion.
Many believe that these principles of sportsmanship are the prime reason why our
sport has thrived for over one hundred years. With the belief that it is useful to periodically
articulate the fundamentals of our sport, this code is presented.
• Sportsmen respect the history, traditions and integrity of the sport of purebred dogs.
• Sportsmen commit themselves to values of fair play, honesty, courtesy, and vigorous
competition, as well as winning and losing with grace.
• Sportsmen refuse to compromise their commitment and obligation to the sport of purebred
dogs by injecting personal advantage or consideration into their decisions or behavior.
• The sportsman judge judges only on the merits of the dogs and considers no other factors.
• The sportsman judge or exhibitor accepts constructive criticism.
• The sportsman exhibitor declines to enter or exhibit under a judge where it might
reasonably appear that the judge’s placements could be based on something other than
the merits of the dogs.
• The sportsman exhibitor refuses to compromise the impartiality of a judge.
• The sportsman respects the AKC bylaws, rules, regulations and policies governing the
sport of purebred dogs.
• Sportsmen find that vigorous competition and civility are not inconsistent and are able to
appreciate the merit of their competition and the effort of competitors.
• Sportsmen welcome, encourage and support newcomers to the sport.
• Sportsmen will deal fairly with all those who trade with them.
• Sportsmen are willing to share honest and open appraisals of both the strengths and
weaknesses of their breeding stock.
• Sportsmen spurn any opportunity to take personal advantage of positions offered or
bestowed upon them.
• Sportsmen always consider as paramount the welfare of their dog.
• Sportsmen refuse to embarrass the sport, the
American Kennel Club, or themselves while taking
part in the sport.

Re: AKC Code of Sportsmanship

Here, here...

But I haven't met a "friendly" AKC rep recently. Wonder who you are?

Re: Re: AKC Code of Sportsmanship

I've traveled all over the east coast, out to mid west etc... All the AKC reps I have known over the years ( 20 plus) have been helpfully and freindly... While I will agree some are better at it than others, but if you need one of them they are there and they will help...

This is for the AKC Rep: If someone is suspended from all AKC privileges, can they be present on show grounds, directing another family member as to how to prepare and show a dog (without touching the dog)?

I have asked this same question. From the rep who was present, as long as the "suspended" handler does not assist, touch, handle any item relating to showing the dog or help in any other manner while on the show grounds, yes, its legal. However, should any of the above happen, then AKC can step in.
Once the individual is off the show grounds, it is not an AKC matter.

Does handing leads/grooming supplies/picking up poop/etc.. apply? Just wondering exactly where the line is drawn for the suspendee...

Re: Re: AKC Code of Sportsmanship

I've just read about this subject on another list - what a coincidence!

Yes, according to the text of the rules posted, those things apply. Suspended persons may only watch the event.

• The sportsman judge judges only on the merits of the dogs and considers no other factors.

LOL.

Long Time Breeder - I think "Silly" was really trying to be silly. I've met a few reps also and I certainly don't envy their job! But they really know their stuff and they have always been friendly and fair to me. And they have senses of humor...

Re: Re: Re: AKC Code of Sportsmanship

I have met great reps, and some have even gone as fair to help the club hosing the show to do all they can to help show be a sucess as far as running smoothly.

He was great, willing to teach rather then repramand