Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rally Novice

Does anyone have a sheet that lists the procedures needed to be learned in Rally Novice to compete without going to classes.. are classes really needed if you have done competition obedience in years past? Any info. other than whats on the AKC site would be nice.. please feel free to email me.

Re: Rally Novice

I did a google search way back and got lots of info...good luck...you can even print out your own signs

I have a bitch with her CD and she transitioned into Rally (Nov. and Adv.) withouth any other training.

Re: Re: Rally Novice

My conformation special did rally novice without any problem. We didn't get the best scores but we got through it and his tail was always wagging!

If you contact me by e-mail, I can forward you signs and the explanations (I have them on a word document).

Classes aren't necessary, especially if you've competed before, just teach and practice the individual exercises. I know a lot of the exercises are things I teach in the very beginning of training. I took a 14 month old in that I had had for a month and a half with only 3 weeks of training and he got 2 qualifying legs that weekend.

When my little guy was three months old, I took him to a rally fun match with no formal training and he took 4th place. It's about having fun with the dog and talking to them. He had a wonderful time!!! He beat many dogs who had been to classes. I started basic training at 8 weeks and he knew how to stay with me (not heel) and sit. The down was the hard part! And I always get confused by the signs.

I teach rally here in my little country county. Visit www.rallyobedience.com . You can print the signs out - you print out an explanation sheet. Its much easier to navigate than the AKC site.

Thanks folks! Sharlene that site is just what I was looking for!! Thank you again. I am going to print out all the signs so I can get used to seeing them and doing the exercises.

My husband downloaded the signs and rules from the AKC, went to one match and finished the Rally Novice title in 4 shows. He is still gloating over it. I'm sure it helped that the dog already had a CD title.