Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dogs dismissed from show ring

I was just looking at show results from recent shows, I noticed some had dogs dismissed from the ring by judges, what would the reasons for this be?

TIA

Re: dogs dismissed from show ring

Could be lots of things. If the dog is aggressive or tried to bite. If the judge couldn't examine the dog (often happens to puppies.) If there was a disqualifying fault. If the exhibitor asked to be excused for whatever reason.

It can also be from limping or a foreign substance in the coat.

JanG

I have seen many dogs excused for limping.

have see it listed on info-dog as

"excused" and also as
"judge"

is there a difference???

I've been excused with a puppy 20 plus yrs ago that was limping
6-9 class, 1st puppy examined at a Specialty.....talk about embarrassed, Mary Swan was very kind and gave me a BIG hug when I left the ring on the verge of tears..........it was Pano and this same boy later went on to be Reserve twice to Majors at the very same Specialty in future yrs

Re: Re: dogs dismissed from show ring

I think it said JUDG-Excused by Judge, what does that mean? Why would it have happened? Just trying to learn.

TIA

Re: Re: Re: dogs dismissed from show ring

A dog could be excused for a variety of reasons - lameness, aggression, lack of type/merit, foreign substance (chalk or nose black)...also could be the handler - foul language, arguing with the judge...the list is endless.

Re: Re: Re: Re: dogs dismissed from show ring

Don't forget being outside the height standard. A judge can call for a wickett and excuse and adult dog for beeing too short or too tall.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: dogs dismissed from show ring

Also, if you pick up your number, and then do not show up to show the dog, you will get a 'judg'. Or, if you do not stay around to come back in for reserve.

If you pick up your number and don't show up, you are simply marked absent as if you never picked up the number. You mainly just annoy the steward.

I think (not sure) that if you don't show up for winners, reserve, or breed if you are WD or WB, then the judge is supposed to mark it down and you'll lose your wins. All but one of the judges that I have stewarded for don't bother.

As the owner/handler of a dog who was recently excused due to a limp, I unfortunately have first-hand experience of one such instance.

Immediately upon exiting the ring, we started examining the paw in question and found a pretty large abrasion in between a couple of paw pads- missing a couple of layers of skin. After cleaning it up and preventing the grass from poking into it the rest of the day (and preventing him from licking at it all night long), he was sound the following day. Poor guy, though. Still no idea how he did it. It was a little bit embarrassing and quite disheartening, but just went to show me (still a beginner) that you can't ever be sure why a dog may be limping- definitely not always an orthopedic problem, thankfully.

The word certainly got out during that show, and everyone there was so nice about bringing by disinfectants and topical medications to dress the wound. What a great crowd! I just love labrador people.

I have a question. Years ago I was in the ring with a dog and after the first go around , I noticed he was limping slightly in the rear. Would it be better to ask to be excused or stay in the ring and see what the judge does?

Absolutely ask to be excused. The health of your dog comes above all, and if I noticed limping I would want to know immediately what was causing it, and I would not want to be moving the dog in the show ring.

Re: Re: dogs dismissed from show ring

One year at Potomac, I asked to be excused because my girl started limping on the first go around and I was told NO by the Judge! I am not kidding! I was fairly new and thought that it is her ring and nothing I could do about it. I guess now I would just call the show chair over but I was really upset.