Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dog food with no flax seed oil????

Anyone know of a dog food that is of good quality that does not have flax seed oil in it

Re: dog food with no flax seed oil????

To name a few:

California Natural Lamb and Rice
Evo Red Bites
Evo
Orijen
Solid Gold Barking at the Moon
Timberwolf Organics grain-free foods

Depends on the age of your dog......

Natures Variety Intinct has Flax seed at 16 on the list which is minimul IMO

but NV and Evo (as suggested in earlier post) are too high in calcium for a growing pup prior to 1 year of age.

Depending on the age of your dogs California Natural has an excellent puppy formula.

However, IMO, the adult is not high enough in protein for a growing Lab or a senior at only 21%

Re: Re: dog food with no flax seed oil????

Innova is another.

what is the concern?

I know that Whelpwise doesn't recommend putting any bitches in whelp on foods with flax seed. Says it can cause reabsorption of pups.

Re: Re: Re: dog food with no flax seed oil????

Where can I find this information about flax seed and pregnant bitches? From all I read it's completely safe and actually beneficial.

Evo isn't recommended by the company for any large breed growing puppy.

California Natural Herring and Sweet Potatoe doesn't appear to have flaxseed either.

There are some dogs who don't do well at protein levels of 25+%.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Depending on the age of your dogs California Natural has an excellent puppy formula.

However, IMO, the adult is not high enough in protein for a growing Lab or a senior at only 21%

Thank You for all your help. It is for a neighbor of mine that has a little dog that has terrible allergies to flax seed. (SO they vet says). I will give her a the list and she can work with it. As far as the one post. Does flaxseed really affect pregnant bitches. I feed my dogs canidae and I am getting ready to breed her.

Canidea chicken formula does not have flax seed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: dog food with no flax seed oil????

Sharon, I don't think that the problem is with the flax seed itself. It is with the conversion:

The O3 in flax seed is converted to DHA in the body. In the pregnant bitch, or the animal with a chronic medical condition or behavior problem, you want to give the fish body oil so the dog does not have to make the conversion. Fish body oil provides enough DHA directly. If the dam's diet or body is deficient in DHA, the puppy’s nervous systems cannot develop normally.

For the whole article see this page:
http://www.mahahounds.org/building_healthy_canine_companio.htm

I had no idea that flax seed (03) would be converted to DHA in the body.

See this link as to a very good reason not to feed fish oil to pregnant dogs (or vit. A).

Not sure flax seed would fall into this but the conversion to DHA makes me think it would.

http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/healthtips/cleftpalatepf.htm