Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The oldest Labrador kennel still running?

Anyone know?

Re: The oldest Labrador kennel still running?

I don't know if its the oldest but I believe Saly Munson at Shamrock Acres Labradors has been breeding since 1954, so she is a good starting point.

Sandylands is probably the oldest, and longest running kennel. Mrs Gwen Broadley bred and showed labs for some 75 years, starting in 1930 if I'm not mistaken. The kennel is still going on strong today with Mrs. Erica Jayes running it.

Kellogg in S. Dakota, USA since 1922

Re: Re: The oldest Labrador kennel still running?

never heard of them or there dogs are they a hunting kennel

Re: Re: Re: The oldest Labrador kennel still running?

This is a neat topic. How many of us started with a Shamrock Acre dog. I bet many, many. They were pretty and could work. Kellogs has been around a long time. Who else ?

Yep, field dogs...my old pet bitch went back to their dogs.

What about the British Royal Kennels? Wouldn't that qualify as one of the oldest, if not the oldest?

The English Sandringham, Queen Elizabeth II began with blacks in 1911. They are still breeding from this line today.

To clarify, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II did not start in 1911. Most humble apologies for this misstep.

Her Majesty Queen Alexandra owned Labradors in 1911.

The original prefix was Wolferton, changed in 1925 to Sandringham.

Of course the current program is under the guidance of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

The Wolferton affix was used by King George V, while his mother Queen Alexandra used the Sandringham name - she had several breeds, including Borzois, Fox Terriers, Clumbers and Basset Hounds.

It was King George V who settled for Labradors and won quite a few CCs with dogs such as Wolferton Jet (b.1913), W. Dan, Crufts CC winner W. Shelah in 1924 and W. Ben. Later on, King Geoge took over his mother's Sandringham affix.

King George VI had a preference for yellows and Her Majesty the Queen has a kennel that is working oriented. So the Royal kennels may just be the oldest Lab kennels still active today.

Re: Re: The oldest Labrador kennel still running?

Will have to double check but I believe Buccleugh may still be in existance. They were one of the major tap roots.

(It's early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet--will have to check into this).

Cathy M.

Still here:-)

http://www.buccleuchgundogs.com/

and to think all this time I thought it was Nancy Chargo's Banner Labs.....

(inside joke) and just kidding' Nancy! we love you