Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potomac Specialty The Greatest Show on Earth

I've read a couple of posts in which people were slamming the Potomac Committee for various reasons i.e. judging panel, breed seminar panel etc etc etc

I've attended 20 Potomac Specialties in a row. I will never understand why on Earth the people who put on the show work so hard just so we can all have such a good time. But I'm so glad they do.

Ladies and gentlemen of the past, present and future Potomac Committees I take my hat off to you. Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Well Done!!

Re: Potomac Specialty The Greatest Show on Earth

Ladies and gentlemen of the past, present and future Potomac Committees I take my hat off to you. Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Well Done!!

Ditto from here!! And I think by just the attendance record every year, we can assume most people feel the same way! I love the Potomac show!

Very well said Saudjie! I am no one special and yet when I attend a specialty, especially Potomac, I am like a kid in the proverbial candy store. I love drooling over the dogs, listening to everyone, gathering information and the dinners with Lab friends are always remembered. My hat is also off to the many hands that make this show what it is.

I agree with Saudjie that the Potomac being the greatest show on earth. Lots of work from a lot of people getting and keeping it that way. The only question I never saw answered was about why the judge from the national was used so soon at the Potomac. There has to be a reason...

Replying to:

"I agree with Saudjie that the Potomac being the greatest show on earth. Lots of work from a lot of people getting and keeping it that way. The only question I never saw answered was about why the judge from the national was used so soon at the Potomac. There has to be a reason..."

I believe she is retiring next year and perhaps she was chosen to honor her as a valued, and valuable, long term, founding member of the LRCP.

Does that work for you as a concept?

Bonnie

I will always remember my very first time in the ring. Connie Barton was judging in Salinas, CA. I gave my bitch a bit of something and Connie said,"You don't need to feed her. Put your hand in your pocket. She will stand there forever looking at you in hope. DON'T FEED YOUR DOG WHEN A JUDGE IS LOOKING AT YOU! (shades of George Bragaw)She terrorized me and I never forgot the lesson. I do sometimes feed a bit here and there while in the ring but never when a judge is looking my way. I was lucky to have such a good teacher my very first time in the ring.

Re: Re: Potomac Specialty The Greatest Show on Earth

She did the same thing to me the first time I was under her. She is right, but scared the daylights out of me.

I almost peed my pants

I showed under Ms. Barton at Nationals, and while she didn't quite scare me to death, we had a couple of memorable interactions. Some of those attending may remember my Bred By boy relieving himself in a very odiferous episode. I could only hope that the judge would have been so busy judging the dogs ahead of me that she wouldn't have noticed us--fat chance. When I set Shiner up in front of her, she asked "Are we more comfortable now?" What could I say? I just commented that he did, but that I couldn't speak for those at ringside. She laughed, and assured me that it happened to all of us at some time. I will remember it always.

Re: Re: Re: Potomac Specialty The Greatest Show on Earth

She scared the crap out of me when I first showed uder her. I dropped the lead and was all thumbs. She did place my girl first in her class and when I had a picture done, she was very complimentary of my girl. I will always remember it. I was real new to showing and she knew it, but was very encouraging.

It is always the way. We have a nice thread which is congratulatory and complimentary about something and someone isolates one issue (ignoring the main topic)and turns it into something snide and completely ignores the congratulatory theme of the topic.
Potomac is THE Labrador show and only gets better and better. Thank you and congratulations to the Potomac Club for everything.

It's nice though for people who have been around for awhile to share real life stories from the past so that newcomers can get a feel for what it was like. And in this case know that everyone gets the jitters in the beginning.

And now everyone knows not to feed their dog in BOB this year at LRCP

Thank you Bonnie! That was the answer to the question I was looking for.

Very well said! It is always the way unfortunately.

Thank you to the members of the LRCP for all of your efforts and work that does pay off for all of us!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

It is always the way. We have a nice thread which is congratulatory and complimentary about something and someone isolates one issue (ignoring the main topic)and turns it into something snide and completely ignores the congratulatory theme of the topic.
Potomac is THE Labrador show and only gets better and better. Thank you and congratulations to the Potomac Club for everything.

you people just crack me up LOL she is a dog judge, nothing more not rocket science here folks. just someone that looks at dogs geeeeze you all need to put this in perspective

Re: Re: Re: Potomac Specialty The Greatest Show on Earth

"you people just crack me up LOL she is a dog judge, nothing more not rocket science here folks. just someone that looks at dogs geeeeze you all need to put this in perspective"

Yep.You're right. That's what dog shows are all about. One person's opinion on the day.In the grand scheme of things it is really kind of silly. Ginger Campbell told me that at my first Specialty and I didn't get it at the time.I do now.

Why do I go to dog shows? To have fun with my friends and my dogs, keep my eye fresh, meet great people, and make life long friends.

There is nothing wrong with sharing memories. No one is trashing anyone here or being mean. We're just having a chat. Because I sign my posts I've had a lot of private emails from newcomers telling me how happy they are to know that other people get the jitters and still go on to succeed.

If Ms Barton happened to read this thread I'm sure she'd have a laugh and she'd be happier about these than the earlier ones (Potomac judging panel) a few of which weren't very nice.

"""..you people just crack me up LOL she is a dog judge, nothing more not rocket science here folks. just someone that looks at dogs geeeeze you all need to put this in perspective..."""

Well YCMU, guess it is all just a question of perspective and competence. Getting to the moon is not high on my current list of priorities but, if it were, then a rocket scientist would probably be my best bet. Now, if I wanted an informed opinion on my dog's conformation....