Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When ??

How far along can you feel any puppies moving ? We will be calling our vet to ask about a pregnancy test but would like to know. We are trying to figure out if she is or is not. She is producing milk, and just looks like she is pregnant, more of an appetite, a little round at the belly. She is 5 weeks along according to our calendar but we also know there is a chance for a faults pregnancy. Thanks

Re: When ??

I generally can't tell by looking at the girl until she is at least 6 weeks along, I have even thought one of the girls wasn't pregnant at 7 weeks post mating, there were no signs whatsoever and she went on to produce me with a litter of 10.

More towards the end of when a bitch is in whelp. I have felt movement about a week before, sometimes earlier; sometimes later depending on the size of the pups and how many there are in each horn. At around 5 weeks you're no where near feeling the pups move. Try between 7 & 8 weeks and be patient. The pups could be sleeping or not moving much at that exact moment. We found a good time to feel movement is about an half an hour after a bitch has ate one of her meals. Her meal might spark the wee ones to move. Did you do progesterone testing to know when the LH surge was for an accurate due date?

My yellow girls nipples "pink up" within 2 weeks of breeding if they are pregnant.
Ultrasound? I have heard pro and con. Some claim it can cause resorption?? While this does not necessarily pertain to the question it was something I was thinking about.

Re: Re: When ??

Did you do progesterone testing to know when the LH surge was for an accurate due date ?

No, but I have a feeling that we should have. Thank you all for your replies ; very helpful !!

Do the black girls nipples "pink up" too, or just the yellow ones?

Re: Re: When ??

change in nipples by itself is not a good indicator. I have had two females who went through false pregnancies every heat, so they always looked pregnant even though I knew they were not.

I have never felt pups rolling and tumbling sooner than one week before whelp.

MK