Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pastern issue

We have a 2 year old boy who seems to have a pastern issue. He will turn both of his front feet inward, so they are facing each other. Or he will turn both of them under and lay with them like that. He does this 95% of the time he lays down. When we had him at the vet for shots she saw him do it and had never seen it before. She checked them out and found no pain or obvious issue why he does it. Just recently it has started affecting his movement in the show ring. He seems to flap his feet, if that makes sense. Our handler thinks he his filling out in the checst and the issue will pass. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any thoughts on what we should do. He needs to have his final x-ray's done for OFA and I am wondering if we should x-ray the pasterns too.

Re: pastern issue

Not sure if this is correct, but I have heard it mention that with pasterns it could be a nutritional issue (?)

Re: Re: pastern issue

What would I use to correct the issue? We got him when he was 18 months old. Are we too late? He is currently on Solid Gold Wolf King. I don't know what he was fed prior to that.

If it is a pastern issue, maybe he needs a calcium suppliment. JMO

Re: Re: Re: pastern issue

He is 85 - 90 pounds. How much calcium would I give him?

I would think Calcium may be something you would NOT want to give a dog with a possible joint problem. By saying "pastern", this is a visual description based on looking at the outside of the dog's body. Sounds like you need an xray, as front legs that rotate inward so the feet face each other is definitely not normal. Take your boy to an orthopedic vet or at least your regular vet for xrays. Until you do that, we're all just guessing, and "guessing" at the dose of a drug (that may be the wrong one) for a condition we're guessing at, in a location that we're guessing....he needs to see a vet to find out what this is.

Never, ever supplement a dog with calcium. Dogs can't excreet excess calcium like a human can. It can lead to crippiling developmental problems. Pat Hastings goes over this in a whole section of her seminars. The issues is when the calcium/phosphorus ratio is in a incorrect balance. Also word was from our ortho vet not to.

Di-calcium phosphate is safe. I used it on my Dobes and Borzoi. I also had a friend who had a Lab that was down on his pasterns and it straighten him up. I used it on the advice of my vet.

Think Pat Hasting. Puppy Puzzle say that a diet high in to much protein can cause legs to toe out of in.
So diet can change things. It does say "However the change must be amde before the growth plates close."
He might be passed that age. Wish we could help more.

do not add any type of calcium supplement (Pet-Cal or calcium pills) BUT you can add dietary calcium....yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

Honestly I think you need to seek the advice of your ortho vet and take it...

Ya know that old saying...."Opinions are like @$$h0les, everyone's got one".....

Is your dog free to run in his yard during the day? As long as you're feeding him a good diet, exercise will allow him to put on muscle and tighten up.

He does not get access to the yard while we are at work and has two 10x10 indoor outdoor runs he is in then. He has yard access in the morning and evening.

I have an appointment with the ortho vet next Friday. Hopefully they can help me out. Thanks for your replies.