Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favorite bedding for whelping boxes???

Saw the below posts about bedding for whelping boxes. I was wondering what some favorites were. I need to pick up some new stuff soon. Some look nice and thick, but I'm wondering how hard they are to wash.

pups pro fleece? marlins? whelpwise's?? Vet fleece from Jonart? others??

Re: Favorite bedding for whelping boxes???

We love the Vet fleece from Jonart, and they are having a Sale right now.....but we also use lots and lots of bathmats, beach towels, and old sheets.....we keep everything bleached, and use the (no perfume or dye) detergent and dryer sheets. We have 2 week old puppies, and boy are they pooping more.....gotta love those babies!! Vet fleece allows the pee to pass right thru to the newspapers underneath it.

I have Steri-lon, but they don't make it any more. I think it's a lot like the Jonart product, and I'll probably have to buy some for my next litter as the Steri-lon is getting pretty worn. Also, my whelping box has no floor - that way I put newspapers (or chux, which are the things hospitals put on the beds of incontinent patients) then the steri-lon, then put the whelping box on top and since the steri-lon is a bit bigger than the box, it keeps her from digging it up. I throw in a towel or something to satisfy her urge to move bedding around.

Re: Re: Favorite bedding for whelping boxes???

I tape "contractors dropcloth" from the paint dept of Home Depot to the floor as it has a vinyl side and absorbant side (which has also worked very well for whelping too, then I have a blanket that I got at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago with has a fake suede side which is non slip and a shearling side. I wash it without bleach, but do use smelly detergent and fabric softner.

I love the following, Newspaper then a heavy rubber mat with holes in it (I buy it at Sams or Costco) topped with fleece. The fleece allows the fluids to pass through, the rubber mat prevents the fleece from slipping and pups getting under and the paper absorbs all of the moisture. The rubber mat comes in 2 sizes 3X3 and 3X4. It does a great job of anchoring the fleece.

Dura Whelp fleece liners work great. Can be washed over and over and hold up well.

Can this vet fleece be bought else where besides jonart?

I purchase used commercial rugs from a vendor such as ARAMARK or AMERIPRIDE at very discounted prices...the rugs are 3' x 5'...i then purchased in the Wal Mart fabric department...I might add for $3.00 a yard on sale, the fabric fleece. The rugs are on the bottom , I then put the large personal protection pads that also are purchased at Wal-mart (duct tape four together) on top of the rugs, and then I put the fleece on top, tucking the edges of the fleece under the rugs. I wash the commercial rugs in my LG front load washer and let air dry every couple of days... I have 3 commercial rugs that I paid $20.00 a piece for. I change the fleece and protection pads in the am and pm. The first week or so I did not put the fleece down...I left the protection pads on top of the rugs so I could determine how mama's flow was and made sure puppies urine and bm (what mama did not dispose of) was correct color. The personal protection pads that first week gave the whelping box a nice clean/sterile look...and indeed was.