Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how has the forum helped you?

After reading Lori's post where she mentioned a few things she has learned from the forum group already, thought it might be interesting to hear some tid bits others have picked up from the forum!

Two things come to mind right off the top of my head that have been really helpful...

1) The Xenodine iodine ear treatment.

2) Corey's progesterone test experiment.

Re: how has the forum helped you?

Yes, definintely the forum has greatly helped me. There have been many things from DNA, to fading pups, to OFA information to being new in the show world, I could go on and on. The truth? It's also scared me and I can't even believe I am admitting it under my name but it is the truth. Some know, I've always been afraid to use my name because of bashing I see with others.. "fairly" over that LOL,, but in answer to your question, you bet I have learned and have also posted in a panic due to situations and folks have immediately been there with advice and help. I've also introduced myself to a few and I have to say it's been wonderful. I appreciate the forum(s) and will never stop learning from you all.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what have you learned here on the forum... what information have you gleaned... that you probably wouldn't have had access to otherwise or maybe not so in a timely manner (when you needed it)?

Re: Re: how has the forum helped you?

Val,,, definitely fading puppy information sticks as one I would not have access to other places perhaps. For me personally even though I may have had access to things else where, I really have to say I have learned a huge amount just by reading the forum on subjects too. Other places on the net gives us information however the forum gives us personal experience by others which many times is MUCH MORE informative. I guess that's what I was trying to say. I was the OP on the thread fairly recently on a puppy being born with its eyes open. People posted almost immediately, I was so grateful for that as I froze when it happened. There have been times I find myself in situations and just research and find whatever information I need. I'm sorry if I'm not answering you completely.. LOL I'm trying..

Was just trying to draw more folks into the conversation... sorry Susan if it gave the impression it was in response to your post.

Thanks for sharing that! Yes, exactly the kind of experience in how the forum has helped that is nice to hear.

no worries at all Val.. I have the gift of gab but shake while typing here so I dont always say what I'm trying to.
I hope more post. It's a great question and I know many have been helped.

Re: Re: Re: how has the forum helped you?

Hi!

I have learned so much since I've been on this forum.
I have been lucky with the 3 litters I have had with my bitch. She's now spayed and hopefully when I breed again I will be as lucky. Knock on Wood.

I learned about puppies being reabsorbed, canine herpes, swimmer pups, pups being born with eyes open.
The ear cleaner mixtures, the kennel cough remedies.
I had a houseful of kennel cough a couple of years ago. Of course, I panicked because I've never had kennel cough before. I went to the vet and spent $250 on meds and that night there was a thread on what we can give our dogs and let it run it's course.

There's so much more. I am one that really appreciates all this forum has to offer.

Oh ya, I do enjoy seeing all the results from the different shows and the brags.

Donna

Oh good one Donna... specialty results/news/show brags! And closing date reminders have been much appreciated too!

I learned about progesterone testing. Gave me the initial bits and pieces to do my own research and then sound somewhat knowledgeable when I met the repro vet. Learned enough to be brave enough to try AI on my first litter.

It has helped me to learn how to look at my dogs, see their strengths and weaknesses and how to look for a complimentary stud dog. How to look search pedigrees...

I have learned there can be a good support system for thoses who are fairly new to showing/breeding/ just having a pet.

I have also learned to think first about how I want to say something before I say it so that it comes across as I meant it to, less easily misconstrued.

The list for me has been pretty endless, I have been very grateful for this forum, its the only one I have time to read.

Just off the top of my head:

-How to grow hair on a doorknob
-Purple Ear Wash
-Fading Puppy formula
-Sweet PDZ

These are just a few of the things that I learned about here. I am thankful we have this forum, and that others are willing to share what has worked for them!

I've really enjoyed / learned alot on the threads to do with pre-breeding testing.

Alot of the "other stuff" has sort of reinforcement much of what I'd already heard / learned over the yrs.

It is wonderful to know that in my world of menopause / sleeplessness there is almost always someting new and fun to check out at anytime of the day or night

It is also been a really exciting to hear from and get to know abit some of the most experienced and respected ppl in "our Breed", their class and willingness to share has been refreshing!

I look forward to many more yr's of enjoyment and discovery on this Forum!!!

I think also the forum has been useful in learning/hearing about some diseases and genetic conditions.

I'll admit I never knew anything about HOD until I read HOD on the forum. So that prompted me to go do some reading and research on it. So many times we never know about something until we're personally hit with it head on. So that's just another way the forum has been helpful for me.

I've learned so very much from this forum and the ability to post anonymously is truly a wonderful feature since I know most would not be as willing to share information as openly if their names had to be posted. In addition to many successes and helpful tidbits of information, my biggest success story is when I had a boy that had a non-existant sperm count and being in the middle of nowhere, my vet had not an idea of what to do. I posted it and got a reply as to what has worked for someone else and dosage and discussed it with my vet, tried it, and have had my boy sire 4 wonderful litters.

I am very thankful for this wonderful forum!