Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hot Mama and Good Scale

I'm running into a couple of issues with this litter. First of all, Dazzle is hot. Her temperature is normal but she is burning up. She doesn't want to lay in the whelping box - is trying to sit to nurse which doesn't work too well with babies this small, and she wants to lay on the cool tile floor in the hallway. Obviously I can't make the box cold - bad for the puppies, but is there something I can do for just Dazzle to cool her down while she's in the box?

Also, I don't like my scale. I can put the same pup on it three times and get three different weights. Anyone have a recommendation of a very accurate scale that will weigh pounds and ounces and be very accurate, especially below 1 pound? I think it's either the small weight or the wiggling that's got my scale going nuts - if I put a 2 lb. bag of flour on it, it says it weighs 2 pounds.

Re: Hot Mama and Good Scale

How hot is it in the box?

Re: Re: Hot Mama and Good Scale

Room temperature, probably ranges from 70-73 or so. Pups seem comfortable and will sleep lightly touching. If Dazz is out of the box for long, I turn on the heatlamp in one corner so they can migrate there if they need to.

Have you taken Dazzle's temp? I've found the girls usually run around 102 after whelping. I'd just offer her lots of water, I guess, poor Dazzle.

As far as scales go, I use a postal scale that weighs in 1/4 oz increments. I put a little plastic box on the scale, then turn it on so it zeros out with the box on it.

A couple of years ago Jackie persuaded me to purchase a MBS 2010 baby scale on eBay. It is probably one of the best investments I have made. I just checked eBay and there are 2 available in eBay stores. There is one for $58.90 + $14.00 shipping from the dealer I got mine from.

I have a thermometer "in" the box. The sides on my box are high (I have a Jonart box) so the temp in the box down on the bottom runs around 80 - outside of the box it is around 73-75.

I would not think they need any heat. That many pups and all those boobs. Think how hot that is. They are fine she is the one being driven out of the box. Arn't they about a week old ? I always put a fan near by. Just blowing over the top of the box. Hope this helps.

My reproductive vet just recently reminded me that the heavy panting after birthing puppies is in most cases just the oxytocin in the bitch. I do give clean out shots of it after each litter but irregardless it is naturally produced in her system as the puppies feed. That is what helps stimulate better contractions if they are still birthing but it also helps tighen up the uterus faster for the first couple of weeks after birthing. If this is what her situation is nothing you can do will cool her off enough. I keep my puppy room 71-72 degrees without using any outside heat source but I do keep a very close eye on them to be sure they stay near each other when mom is out of the box. I used to keep a Lectro heating system under one corner of the box but I hardly ever used it.

The panting usually starts to decrease after a couple of weeks. I always take my bitches temperature twice daily for the first week or two to be sure that no infections are starting up.

My girl was hot too (even though the puppies were born in November). I would put cool damp towels (the small white shop towels from Costco) on her while she nursed the pups and it seemed to help her and she would lay with them longer.

I second the MBS 2010 digital baby scale. I bought mine a couple years ago and it's wonderful. Although, I lost the power cord (unplugged at the time) to puppy teeth and can now only use it with the 9V battery. It was a great investment and is a piece of cake to use.

Aloha,
Kim

Karlene,
Back when my girl had physical therapy we used hot and cold rice socks. They work great. Maybe a cold sock of rice around her neck while she nurses will help.

We lay cold packs under the moms (like you get in chilled semen shipments) especially around their necks and under their rumps and use them wrapped in towels for older inconsolable babies in the dead of summer.

I had a litter during a heat wave and had my bitch lay on the cool tile floor and put a bathmat up next to her, that way the puppies could nurse and keep warm, but still had plenty of traction and mom kept herself nice and cool. The only down side was I had to stay there while she nursed and then put everyone back in the box.

When my bitches act like they are too hot, I put an ice pack, covered with a towel in 1 corner of the box. They will get in the box and lay up against it and be comfortable. That way they can come and go as they please.

Hi Karlene,

If she continues to pant and be restless, you might also want to consider that the bitch might have a calcium imbalance, with the large litter she's taking care of. For a lactating bitch with excessive panting, and restlessness, I have supplemented her with calcium tablets (Pet-Cal) on the advice of my reproduction vet. It made HUGE difference. You might check with your vet and see if it would hurt to try this. I do not supplement with calcium prior to whelping...that can cause problems.

Renee