Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UCH and Int. Championships

I think it’s so kewl that these titles are available to us.
American AKC championships are SO hard to get that it gives the less than perfect dog a way to earn a nice title.
I love the Int. shows….all my dogs have them and now we are getting the UCH titles too.
So laid back and not much competition. And I get group placements all the time too.
I wish we had this available to us years ago!

Re: UCH and Int. Championships

Actually UKC has been around almost as long as the AKC. It is the second oldest dog registry in this country. Both UKC and the non-competitve Int'l Champion shows have been around for quite a few years.

But to say that getting a UKC championship is easier than an AKC championship really depends on where you live. Their requirements for a championship are quite different that the AKC's but it does involve competition. In the Midwest, where UKC is headquartered, it is quite difficult to get a UCH since there are many people who have discovered this much more relaxed, casual atmosphere type show. The more dogs competing, the more difficult it is to win. Plan and simple. Just as there are places in this country that requires little competition to win an AKC championship-majors only require a few dogs vs. some areas where a major requires 20+ dogs, same goes for the UKC shows. It is all relative to where you live. Here in California, I am pleased to see and also help and encourage newcomers to the world of UKC shows. As these shows gain more popularity out here, the more people compete and the more difficult it becomes to get a UKC CH. But nonetheless, I just like that folks are out doing something with their dogs and competing for titles. Most people I know out here showing in UKC also show in AKC shows. I know I love showing at specialties and usually do well with class wins/placements. When I can do well at specialties like this, I know my breeding program is on the right track ! Group wins/placements at UKC shows are easier to come by as well because you don't have to compete against the Pros who have heavily campaigned/advertised dogs. The judge puts up the dogs they like the best and since UKC's emphasis is more on the working ability, dogs with excessive coats or extreme flashy movement are seen as a "showy" dog, but one that actually might have more difficulty in the field. Not to mention, the top 20 in each breed only accumulate these points at the breed level. They do not get extra points for winning groups or BIS. It was interesting to note that at my last show, after getting Best puppy, the judge asked me if my puppy had been swimming yet. Thankfully I could answer that with a definite YES! She went to the lake at 3 1/2 months old, went right in and kept going back in. He then asked me if she liked birds. I had just taken her to the beach the week before and there were pigeons there. When she caught sight of the pigeons, she really wanted to go get them! I thought that was very interesting that the judge was asking about her working aspect already! He put up some nice dogs at that show and even gave my friend's Lab (handled by her 9 year old son)a Group 1!

As for the Int'l Ch, these titles are NOT a competitive title. I believe they are a good starting point because you get a written critique and for newbies, this is good learning tool. But to say that you are going to these shows because your dogs are less than perfect, just remember there are NO perfect dogs. I have seen many AKC Chs (and even some BIS AKC Labs) that I would NEVER have or use in my breeding program.

IMO, breeding good dogs means learning all you can and using all tools/venues available to you.

Best of luck to you

Dianne

Re: Re: UCH and Int. Championships

How would I find information about these shows?

TIA

Re: Re: Re: UCH and Int. Championships

http://www.ukcdogs.com/

I found the UKC to be a great stepping stone for a person such as myself new to conformation. My husband and I have had tons of fun, met some really great people who show both UKC and AKC, the girls got tons of ring experience and we have gotten 2 UCH titles .Here in the northeast there is not tons of competition, but we still enjoyed ourselves. I think its definitely worth a try for those looking for a different atmosphere or just to get you feet wet

Dianne,

Was going to reply to this one, but after reading your post, I don't need to.

"What she said."

I have just started showing UKC and love it! My Lab finished his UCh and is now working on some of the obedience titles, too. They have a great program called "Total Dog" for breed and performance at the same show. Also heard a judge tell a Lab exhibitor that their dog was too heavy--most of the judges do seem to like the Labs that are not too over done.

I had a judge tell me that too. Funny thing is, he is an AKC judge as well.
But the problem is we mostly do AKC and if I took weight off this dog, they would tell me it was too thin in the AKC ring! LOL!!

The weight thing is one reason I have opted not to show AKC much anymore.

Well the Labrador should be shown at a good weight, not too heavy. Some judges mistake substance/thick coats though as extra weight and that is where they really need to feel the dog and find that it really isn't carrying a lot of weight.

I had one judge tell me, after putting up a very fieldy looking Lab over my bitch that she did so because she thought my bitch was carrying a bit too much weight. I told the judge, politely, that I can always take off the weight from my dog, but that you can never add type. The whole conversation then turned into a pleasant educational one where I was able to give this judge some pointers on what was correct in this breed. After the judge finished judging the group, she came back over to me and said wow I really saw what you meant when talking about the Lab I put up. She even admitted she made a mistake and we chatted more about Labs. I was also doing the win photos at that show and had some samples of some Labs that I did photos of and used those to help educate her further. It was very refreshing to see that she and another UKC judge I had spoken to that day were really open to breeder education. I hope that in their next assignments they will look for more type.

Now don't get me wrong, UKC judges are not the only judges who need education either. I have seen plenty of AKC judges put up dogs that I would not have considered very typey. Most of the time these dogs are handled by pros. The only difference is, is that most AKC judges do NOT want exhibitors coming up to them and trying to educate them afterwards. The UKC judges on the otherhand, if done tactfully, are open to further education. As one judge told me, "I want to do right by the breed."

Dianne

I'm not being facetious here but I don't feel it is my job to educate Labrador judges. Surely that should have before s/he came into the ring?

If "judges" can't see type, then we are all wasting our time, energy and entry fees.

While I wholeheartily agree with you JP, it's a sad fact in both AKC and UKC shows that judge's education is clearly lacking in both venues. I believe the article in the latest AKC Gazette is clear proof of that! And as I mentioned, I've seen many AKC Champions that IMO should not be and many lovely dogs that never finish their AKC title. In AKC most of the time it comes down to how much time and money you have to spend campaigning dogs-well at least in CA where it takes quite a few dogs to get a major. Many CA breeders have sent dogs out of state where the point schedule is much lower in order to finish their dogs.

But if a show breeder, who has many years in the breed, can help to educate judges, then I'm all for it. UKC judges are much more open to having individual breeders educate them than the AKC judges are! It is difficult to know all the ins and outs of all the breeds you judge and those judges who strive to learn are good ones in my book

Dianne

Dianne,

First of all I have known you since you have been involved in labradors and it haqs been far from 20+ years. When you are on this forum you try to come across as this person that's so happy for other breeders on their wins when you are actully using that moment to blow your own horn again. When you start to act as nice to people at the shows as you try to come across on this forum we might care about what you have to say. I final note, the last thing we need is
for you to be educating our judges. I don't see anyone beating your door down with judging assignments

OK "breeder", you do the math: I got my first Lab in 1982. He was a rescue of sorts, but had a decent pedigree. I learned a lot from this dog. He and I got our start in 4H when I was 15 years old. I later showed him mainly in local matches where we won many Best Junior Handler awards and BOB/Group placements. We attended our very first "real" AKC show, which was the LRCSC in 1985.

Eventhough I wasn't very active in breeding in my early years (and really still don't breed that much), I spent many hours at a fellow breeder's house pouring over her Lab magainzes and learning from her. I even got to see her lovely litter by Ch. Receiver Of Cranspire.

I mainly showed dogs that my sister owned/bred, but was still involved in going to shows as well as doing field and obedience work with our dogs. Up to this point, my sister had the say in who was bred to who and who we kept and who was placed. But during this time I studied dogs and lines and decided to purchase my first Lab. He became Ch. Blackthorn Strike The Gold, CD, CGC. I got him in 1992. In 1994, I got my foundation bitch who became Ch. Woodstok Midnite Masquerade, CGC.

So perhaps "breeder" you don't know me as well as you thought. But then knowing who you are, you aren't very good with your dates to begin with! LOL And since you really don't know what you are talking about in regards to my experience in Labs, we can safely disregard the rest of the misinformation in your post as well. I think the responses to my posts here on the forums as well as the number of friends and acquaintances that I have at the shows speak volumes for who I am.

Dianne

Well said Dianne, good for you Its just a troll to ruffle feathers

this is in response to the one calling herself "breeder":

"When you start to act as nice to people at the shows as you try to come across on this forum we might care about what you have to say. I final note, the last thing we need is for you to be educating our judges."

Dear troll breeder,
Don't presume to speak for anyone but yourself. Including the plural "we" in your nasty post does not fool anyone into thinking that there any more than the single troll(yourself) involved. You have been outed as a troll and that is a fitting end to whatever comments you may have.

I need some to take the bad taste out of my mouth after reading posts like this. Why attack a breeder that is great at what she does and has earned the respect of others? Does it float your boat, make your day or give you goosebumps?

You need to get yourself a life other than this 'breeder'. Do you need another hobby suggestion (such as basketweaving) or is this pure jealousy?

Thank you for your indepth explanations Dianne.

Not to side with the troll but I have been aware that after a time of being around some other breeders they do go way back in time and talk about the very first "Lab" they were around. Then they say I have been breeding since. Know of alot of those. Thats fine, I know the difference. I like to think of, I've been breeding and showing, as an adult my first Lab to belong to me or first litter.
Think that is when we start learning and can share so much. Know I'll be wrong, thats what makes this place so much fun.

Re: UCH and Int. Championships -- more info please

Years ago I got UKC obedience titles on one of my dogs and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and different exercises. I have also done UKC agility, again it is fun to try a venue with different equipment. I see there is a conformation UKC show in my area next month and there aren't any close by AKC shows for Oct/Nov so thought it might be a good experience for my puppy. I can't find a premium for the show, just the date and location.

Do the classes run the same way at UKC shows (dogs first, then bitches, etc.)
I am assuming there is a 6-9 and 9-12 or 6-12 mo. class, right?

Do people tend to dress more casually at these shows or do the women wear skirts and the men suits like at most AKC shows? Are there usually a good number of Labs entered? Is there a point schedule like in AKC depending on number entered?
.....full of questions.....

Deb:

In UKC there is no breakdown of the puppy class. Dogs go before bitches, but the classes are a bit different; Puppy (6-12 mos.), Jr Males (1-2 years), Senior Males (2-3 years), Adult (3+ years), B/O/H (Breeder/Owner/Handler [comparable to BBE in AKC]). The same classes exist for the females. Then the Best Male (AKC's Winners Dog) and Best Female(AKC's Winners Bitch) compete for BOW. The Champion class pits champions of record against each other, males and females, for the Champion of Champion award; then, there's a Grand Champion class for dogs with that title. Competing for BOB are only three dogs: the GRCH class winner, the CH class winner, and the BOW.

Good Luck!

Thanks Red Birch for explaining the classes so well.

Hi Deb,

As for some of your other questions, yes the dress is much more casual, usually a pair of slacks or nice jeans and a nice blouse/shirt.

The number of Labs competing really varies from area to area. There is no point schedule and dogs earn points by winning their classes and then getting best male/female as well as best of winners. There does not need to be any competition in the first two classes to earn the points, however, to finish their championship, they must have three wins with competition. By going Best of Winners, it means there is at least competition in that class or by going BOB over competition or getting a group placement over competition also fulfills this requirement. However only one competition win counts per show. And they must also earn at least 100 points.

There is no schedule mailed to you like the AKC shows since you can sign up the day of the show. After the entries close, they will post the schedule of which breeds go first.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me privately if you'd like more information.

Dianne

PS Thank you for those people who posted your support on this thread. And thanks for those who are keeping this a positive thread. UKC shows can be a lot of fun!

Thanks Red Birch and Dianne -- I think I will probably give it a try. My young boy could use the experience and he won't know whether it is AKC or UKC , he'll still have to practice holding still! Do they have you gait the dogs the same way you do in AKC? I read somewhere that they don't allow bait at UKC shows -- is that true? Would hate to commit a faux pas my first time there yet don't know how I would get this pre-pubertal boy to pay attention without bait or a toy. Maybe I'll enter his mom (she has 12 AKC points) just for fun, too. I keep her more in working condition so maybe they would appreciate that more.

You're quite welcome Deb. Yes it's true that some judges do not allow bait. But many others do allow bait. They will have a sign at the ring entrance as to whether or not that judge allows bait. If you are using bait, do not let it fall on the ground as that is considered "littering" in the ring and you can be excused for that. Dogs should be trained to stand. Puppies are given a lot more leeway, but even the adults aren't expected to stand like statues.

I'd suggest entering both of your dogs and just seeing how they do. If they are trained to bait, then you can act like you have bait and that usually works.

Best of luck to you

Dianne

Deb H I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed the UKC shows I have been to! The atmosphere is light and fun. The judges I have shown to have all allowed bait.

One note though--to get the Championship you have to beat competition. When my boy (whom you know ) fnished his Championship, a couple of the shows had no class dogs but because he went BOB over Champions and Grands he had competition. They also have to beat the opposite sex, so two shows he did beat some bitches.

Give it a try! The judges are much more friendly, too.

I agree with Breeder on more than one account. If YOU have to educate the judge on what type is, they have no business judging.