Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

What are you charged for progesterone tests? I think that my Vet just increased his prices. For progesterone this morning he is charged $91.00 ( my discount $72.80) and for brucella - AGID/ID $118.00 ( my cost $94.40) I know that there is a less expensive test for brucellosis but when I find that I have left that test until the last minute I do not want to take any chances on getting a false positive.
We are not in an inexpensive hobby are we! LOL!!!
Gotta pay it , I guess I am just trying to feel better about it!

Now I have a bunch of youngsters to get OFA prelims on --- guess I should be looking for a THIRD job!
Gotta love this!!!

Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

Progesterone Test in NE Ohio was $60.

The costs for progesterone just went up every where, I was told by two different vets.

Here in California it is:

Monterey - $108
Morgan Hill - $121

That is without the cost break.

JanG

I paid $36 for prog test last month in a small town. If I went into town I would pay around $65.

I just love my country vet. My first(hopefully last) emergency C-section (18 months ago) the day after Easter and before hours, I only paid around $200. He saved all puppies and we were home with in 2 hours and before the office opened.

I do go into town for OFA's but have a vet that breeds Rottie and is very very good. I paid $153 for hips and elbows. Results Good/Normal and Execellent/Normal

This is my vet price list pulled from his web site.
Reproduction Service Prices

Ultra-Sound $100.00
Reproductive Exam $109.50
K-9 Semen Collection $91.50
AI Surgical $483.00
Immulite Progesterone $75.00
AKC-DNA Certification $76.00
UKC-DNA Profiling $80.50
Collect Semen #1 and Freeze $349.50
Collect Semen #2 and Freeze $249.50
Chilled Semen Kit $83.00
Collect & Ship Chilled Semen $209.50
Prepare Frozen Semen for Shipping $139.50
Frozen Semen Storage (per year) $109.50
Boarding for Reproduction (per day) $12.20
Vaginal Cytology $35.00
Intrauterine Flushing $42.00
C-Section Canine (less than 25 lbs) $673.80
C-Section Canine (greater than 25 lbs) $773.80
C-Section Feline $209.50
Mismating $76.00
TCI w/Chilled or Frozen Semen $349.50

I know a lot of breeders do not do this but I do my own progesterone testing with a 98% conception rate as well as my own AI's. My kit is 99 bucks plus federal express to me and I get 12-36 (I think) tests out of it depending on how many girls I test at the same time. For me personally, it's harder to miss then to get a bitch prego but I've been using it for years. I also know when my girls will whelp. For me personally, I missed with base line progesterone testing too many times.

OFA is approx 250 hips/elbows and a chip at that time
Brucc is 66 each ouch.. just did 3

Another spin,
This is cut and pasted from the OFA site which you can view here http://www.offa.org/hipprelim.html

A recent publication* compared the reliability of the preliminary evaluation hip grade phenotype with the 2 year old evaluation in dogs and there was 100% reliability for a preliminary grade of excellent being normal at 2 years of age (excellent, good, or fair). There was 97.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of good being normal at 2 years of age, and 76.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of fair being normal at 2 years of age. Reliability of preliminary evaluations increased as age at the time of preliminary evaluation increased, regardless of whether dogs received a preliminary evaluation of normal hip conformation or HD. For normal hip conformations, the reliability was 89.6% at 3-6 months, 93.8% at 7-12 months, and 95.2% at 13-18 months. These results suggest that preliminary evaluations of hip joint status in dogs are generally reliable. However, dogs that receive a preliminary evaluation of fair or mild hip joint conformation should be reevaluated at an older age (24 months).

Progesterone $90 at my vet

$60 at another vet about 45 minutes away.

Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

Progesterone test $20 with same day results

Re: Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

LIke to know where you live MD. I pay 136.00 dollars every test and then have to pay a evaluation fee($48) the first day that I go. (usally it is 3-4 times). I have sunk a bunch of money into test, kits, collection before the bitch is even ready. But nothing more PRICELESS than a lab puppy looking up at you!!!

Re: Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

Is this like a Camelot or Target color test?

Re: Re: Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

Greg, I do use Date to Mate from Camelot. I love it, I dont miss (very very rarely), I get results in no time flat. I know when ovulation is, when whelp is and I find it very easy when I am having swimmers shipped as I have results early in the morning and let the breeders know with out rushing. I also understand most do not use this and dont like it at all. For me it works, to the point as I said, it's harder for me to miss then to actually get a girl prego pending eggs and good swimmers. Those few that I have taught how to use it, they say the same.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

LOL quick story... last time I used baselining my repo vet told me I should do the breeding on a Friday. According to the results I was getting using my testing (doing it the same time) no way, breeding was not going to be until Sunday. She said she would come in on Sunday to do the AI (was a surgical AI and we had 1 shot!!) but I would have to choose which date, was up to me. I chose my results as I had already become comfortable and confident. Well, 8 puppies later she laughed saying "good thing you listened to your results". Reason.... she slowed down in her cycle and would not have been ready Friday. Definitely would have missed. That was the last time I baselined, that was almost 5 years ago I think.

For me it works. I know others hate it

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

Is this something new or is it the same thing as the PreMate Ovulation Timing Test Kit for Bitches? Never heard of a date to mate timining kit???
Aloha,
jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Greg, I do use Date to Mate from Camelot. I love it, I dont miss (very very rarely), I get results in no time flat. I know when ovulation is, when whelp is and I find it very easy when I am having swimmers shipped as I have results early in the morning and let the breeders know with out rushing. I also understand most do not use this and dont like it at all. For me it works, to the point as I said, it's harder for me to miss then to actually get a girl prego pending eggs and good swimmers. Those few that I have taught how to use it, they say the same.

One thing I found out this time around is that each vet clinic fees for collecting blood on Bruccelosis and Progesterone can vary in extremes. One vet I called for a Saturday blood draw quoted me a $132 for each progesterone. I decided my vet up the road wasn't so bad after all. They charge an initial $96.00 but then each blood draw after that is $76.00. She makes me do an pre office exam which is $50.00. Since they are not open on Saturdays and Sundays, I had to call around for a Saturday blood draw. The other vets I called were all over the board on their prices.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

LOL Jackie, I went and looked at a kit. Big bold letters "Date To Mate". However, it's also called Pre Mate.. it's the same thing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

I live in Georgia, draw my own blood and use a human reproductive lab

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

Thanks Susan :}
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Re: test costs/progesterone, brucella etc...

I live in NH and get the employee discount at my clinic. I pay $45. for prog / $36. for brucc. My vet recently did an AI for me and charged me $50.