Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flies

I am not a breeder, but have four labs.

I dont know what to do with flies, can the experts tell me what you use to keep them away, and also I have notice that the flies love to be on the ears of the dogs, what damage can the flies cause to the ears?

Thanks, and sorry for my english.

Carlo

Re: Flies

Hi Carlo,
I have used Fly Predators for approximately 3 years. I am VERY happy with the decrease in the fly population. Here's the website:
http://spalding-labs.com/home.php

I use to have one yellow girl that the flies loved. They were always biting her ears. I would use SWAT, it's a pink ointment that is an antiseptic and a fly repellant. It is a horse product. Since I have been using the fly predators, the flies don't bother any of the dogs nor my yellow girls ears.

Good luck!

Re: Re: Flies

Carlo,

First, buy a couple of "Captivator" fly traps. Their attractant does not work well, but the containers are great. Next buy some "Big Stinky" fluid. The fluid is a surfacant. You bait the traps with raw chicken plus water and the surfacant. The surfacant causes the flies to get stuck in the water & drown. You will be absolutely amazed how many flies you trap.

You can find everything on the internet.

Re: Flies

Thank you, I will try everything

Re: Re: Flies

Having had litters that mature in the fall, I have had issues with flies in the past as well; it seems that when there are puppies outside, no matter how clean you are and how diligent, the flies come; they come as well with adult dogs, but to a greater extent.

That said, I would like to offer an observation I've made using fly traps. I put several out last year in August-September when my puppies were old enough to go outside. The traps were effective alright; we caught thousands of them. The trouble was, there were still hundreds of flies buzzing around, annoying the dogs and traumatizing me. I couldn't figure it out! I sprayed with organic, safe, fly spray, cleaned the pen 3 times a day, and still it seemed as if every fly within 10 miles came here.

Then one day I wondered if the fly traps were what was attracting them to come here. Hmmmm. So I took them all down, and .... you guessed it. The flies stopped coming.

Granted, this is no scientific study, but in my little pea brain I figured it out: the fly traps were actually attracting the flies. It was still "fly season" when I withdrew the traps, so it seems to me that not having them here was the key to removing the problem. If I ever do it again, the fly traps will be not in the kennel but far removed from it. Another study, another time.

In the meantime, I despise flies!! I do everything in my power to keep those filthy little insects away from my dogs; but I'm staying away from the fly traps. Good luck to you!

Nancy

Re: Re: Re: Flies

Take the fly traps down. They attract the flies to your home because of the female scent they use to lure them into the trap.
I try to keep my dogs in more.. plus keeping the urine smell off the dogs..I bathe once a month during warm season when flies are out or take swimming in between bathes. It does help.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Flies

Carlo, Advantix is now labeled to repel biting flies as well. It just got that labeling so I haven't had time to really try it out for that purpose. Debbie