Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
scared

I need your views about if a pup/dog swallows Lizard,Frog or stuff like that.

Re: scared

I'm not sure if I have this right but I believe frogs are safe but toads are poisonous. don't know about lizzards.

If your dog swallowed anything you mention in your post I would be on the phone to the vet or the canine poison hotline in your area ASAP

All I know is, the lizards my dogs eat in Southern California make them foam at the mouth a bit (I think they don't taste too good!), but to my knowledge they are not poisonous. No one has keeled over yet!

My female is a superb frog hunter. No side-effects so far.
I would check if she ate a toad though.

Where do you live? There are some species of toads that are very posionous to pets. The Colorado Toad and the Giant Toad are both known to be deadly. Not sure about the rest of the general toad population. Call your vet. How long ago did she swallow it? Can you give her peroxide to make her puke it back up?

Re: Re: scared

Mine catch lizards all the time. They must eat part of them ???? Never been sick. And it is the frog that they kiss that makes them foam at the mouth. But they don't get sick. Thats just my bunch.

Although I have taught Vertebrate Biology on the college level, it is a little removed from my field of expertise. Many amphibia do have poison glands in their skin, but as far as I know, the species of toads we have in the U.S. are not deadly poisonous. I had a Lab that would pick toads up and carry them around. When I rescued them she was foaming at the mouth and the toad was unhurt. She never suffered any other ill effects. Lizards not not have poison glands in the skin the way amphibians do. They would have salivary gland poisons if any, like snakes. We do have one or two species of venomous lizards in the Southwest- Gila monsters, for instance- but as far as I know, the lizards found in the eastern U.S. are not venomous.

I'll check with the expert next time I see him, but I don't think that eating a U.S. toad would seriously harm a dog. Frogs and lizards should be fine except for the few venomous species of lizards.

Re: Re: scared

After reading some of the other messages that came in after I started to reply, it sounds like my information is good only for the eastern U.S.

Re: Re: Re: scared

I really believe you need to determin what type of frog , toad and or lizzard your dog is eating, there are many types and some can cause a great deal of problems, but not all.

Re: Re: Re: Re: scared

Frogs are generally safe and "good eatin" to some dogs:)
Toads I do not know about.
I do know that the lizards here in Florida can sometimes harbor a liver fluke that can indeed be deadly to some, but I wouldn't panic. Just let your vet know so its in their charts so that if any odd things come up in the future you know to check the liver function. My parents had a cherished cat that passed away from this after eating many a lizard.
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: scared

I have a lot of toads around here. My dogs love to bring them at night. They are very gentle with them.

In South Florida (up to Tampa) at least, I know "Bufo" toads or Cane toads are poisonous. The dogs just have to lick or sniff the poison on the toad's skin to absorb the poison. The dogs will foam at the mouth - the poison needs to be rinsed and wiped out of the mouth and taken to the vet. Symptoms appear within 15 minutes (small dogs 5-10 minutes) and death can occur in 20 minutes. The poison is absorbed through the mucus layers. I got all this info from a friend who is a vet tech, but here's the first link I found on them.

http://www.floridagardener.com/critters/BufoMarinus.htm