Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bitch of your breeding or buy one?

I have a decent 4 year old bitch with all her clearances and a few points. She has a phenomenal temperament and a relatively clean pedigree. I know her sire and dam and siblings and half-siblings well. She is expecting a litter sired by BISS champion and I am hoping to add what she lacks which is substance and bone. Now I have a breeder/friend with a litter in the works out of a specialty winning finished bitch who is really nice bred to a BISS champion. He is willing to let me have second pick. For a few reasons I can only run on one puppy. I love my own girl however I am thinking that I might get a better puppy from the other litter.

Re: Bitch of your breeding or buy one?

Take the best pup, regardless of who its out of

Re: Re: Bitch of your breeding or buy one?

Maybe you could find a breeder friend or someone (relible and that would work with you) who would be willing to co-own the pick puppy out of your litter, run on it and show it...etc. Then if that pup turned out to be something special maybe you would be in a better position to get a puppy back someday. You might be glad you did.

Re: Re: Re: Bitch of your breeding or buy one?

I agree with Judy. If you have a good line going, keep it going. It feels pretty good when you get to 4th or 5th generation and see what you have done.

I would try to keep both. Place one later. You know more about your own line. But nice to have something new from another.

"Maybe you could find a breeder friend or someone (relible and that would work with you) who would be willing to co-own the pick puppy out of your litter, run on it and show it...etc. "

I did this for years until I realized I didn't have a single dog in my house that I bred. =8-o

So, I fixed that and only have a few old timers without my kennel name on them and all the up-and-coming dogs are my breeding. I like this much better.

Given that, I'd do what Judy suggested for this first one if you can only keep one puppy but get your kennel name back in your house ASAP.

Re: Bitch of your breeding or buy one?

I would run on two of my own before taking on another. I like my own kennel name is front thank you. :)