Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crates?

We have had our kennel-aire crates for many many years and they are beginning to fail (understandably). I've been researching crates and have found the kennel-aire professional crates with heavy duty gauge construction and 1" square meshing. They are quite pricey but would be worth it if they held up for as long as the ones we have held up. The other that was suggested by a friend has 1-3/4 x 3 inch meshing (General). General is the only one I could find with a metal pan in the bottom and a 2-door option; kennel-aire has plastic and only a 1-door option. I'm sure there are others out there. I'm interested in what others have used successfully that is strong, durable, and safe. TIA

Re: Crates?

I have a couple of Kennel Aire wire crates that date back to the the mid '60s that are still in great shape. They don't make them like that any more. Like everything, they have gone "cheap".

I bought 2 plastic Kennel Aire with the Remington logo and don't like them. There is a lip on both sides of the bottom and they tip very easily. I screwed 1/2" boards on the lip to prevent tipping, but for the price I shouldn't have to. I complained to Kennel Aire to no avail.

Pet Porter makes a good plastic crate. I have also been satisfied with my Midwest wire crates. Sometimes, you can buy them from the show venders and the end of a circuit at a discout because they don't have a box.

I have the midwest wire crates - has the front and side opening. I've been satisfied so far.

I use Mid West also. They come in all sizes from lg/ex large to breeder size. The only trouble I have experienced is a couple of times the tray has cracked but they replaced it for me.

I will never purchase a crate for adult dogs that don't have 2 doors. One of my dogs had a serious reaction to medication and I couldn't wake her up. Had it not been for the 2 doors, I'm not sure how we would have managed to get her out without injury.
I also have Midwest but found a really thick rubber tray when one of mine cracked.

HI SUSAN...HI SUSAN...HI SUSAN...Told you you'd know when I finally got the nerve to post and not just lurk! LOL!

Re: Re: Crates?

lmaoooooooooooooooo you go girl. Heck, if I can do it, YOU can definitely do it. And boy am I glad I took the plunge. Great to see you.

sorry for hi jack.

Midwest here as well. I own 11 Midwest crates and love them for their quality and durability/safety.

Midwest here also...I like the double door models, easy to set up and move. The pans are thin, but I don't really count on them anyway.So, all in all, a good value and have been durable so far.
Lisa

I have 9 crates in my home for 5 labs in various
locations.....two are currently in the back of my
Dodge Caravan...we travel to Dock Dog events(my
version of showing)...and the MW SUV smaller
crates are awesome...I have some of those in the
house, too.....

None of my crates goes back more than 5 years...
but I have only more than 3 labs for 4 years....
and I raise service dogs for a local non profit...
and they also give us their crate......but
have replaced the plastic pans on the skinnier
Midwest crates..that worked well....they hold up
in the house, the van and at Dock Dog events well.

JMHO!

Jane Harford, RRK Labs

If you want to save wear and tear on the MW plastic pans, run a strip of good quality duck tape on the back of the pan where it hits the metal. I think it is about 3 strips. If the bottom of the pan is clean, it will stay a long time and the pan won't crack.

Thanks everyone who responded and emailed me privately! I think we are going to go with the General for inside and the Midwest crates made to go side-by-side in SUVs for in the back of our Explorer for travel and shows. Also found one called "Precision" but was unfamiliar with them.

I have the Midwest DD crates for the car and Petmate hammer-tone crates for the house (these pans break easily and I've decided just to take them out and put a mat on the floor). I borrowed a "Precision" crate for the summer and really liked it. I found nothing "wrong" with it and actually like the door latching system. I may be looking into them when buying new crates.

For vehicles, I sure do wish they still made the old T.E. Scott 5-T crates. I have one oversized one that I started out with in the garage. You can't even intentionally kill these things. If anyone has any of these in a lab size for sale email me!!!