Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ways to identify each pup?

I am one week away from having my first litter.
I am interested in the ways that you can identify each pup in the whelping box.
It will be an all black litter.
I know that you need to know since you will be weighing them and should know who is who.
Suggestions please. Thanks!

Re: Ways to identify each pup?

I have never had the joy of having a litter myself, but some of the ways my friends have identified each pup was different colors of grosgrain (sp?) ribbon,
non-toxic fabric paints either of different colors or applied in a different spot on each pup.
I have heard that some folks do a trim of hair in different spots but have not seen it myself.
I am sure that others on this forum will be able to give you advice and ideas. Good luck with your first litter!

Yarn!! I have all different colors of fairly thick yarn. Watch the growth as they grow so fast I find I have to check the fit daily. Also, it stretches and can become too loose but works great. Good luck with your litter.

Different colors of ricrac (ribbon). You can buy it at a fabric store, WalMart, etc.

Re: Re: Ways to identify each pup?

nail polish works well and dries fast

Re: Re: Re: Ways to identify each pup?

EJay ID bands.

Pink and blue white out. First boy gets a dot on his head, second on his shoulders, third on his butt, left side front, right side front, etc. Girls the same way. It stays longer than nail polish and is very easy to see.

I used different color retractable sharpies on my yellows, but that probably wouldn't show up on a black unless you put it somewhere that didn't have hair.

I had to retouch every other day, but it was very easy. When they got weighed, they got colored.

Been using nail polish for over 25 years now, stays on for quite a long time before you have to remark them and it is safe as I don't like using anything around the neck that will strangle the pup should it get caught in something... just mark on different parts of the body and try and stay farest away from the head as they hate the smell.
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Re: Re: Ways to identify each pup?

I never quite got the hang of painting my pups, or just got frustrated with it. I do clip them with my clipper or a sissors, left shoulder boy/girl, right shoulder, etc. When they are older I do put collars on them so I can identify them quickly when trying to evaluate them in the yard. Can't do that with the clips.

I clip coat here also, ie left hip, right hip, left shoulder and so on, works for me ;-)

Yep, me too..........I hate nailpolish, anything that can hurt or choke my pups or momma, and this will easily grow back, yet for now, is "permanent."

Works for me too.

Don't trust any type of collar.

Nail polish is what we use.

I use nail polish. Usually only have to refresh the mark two to three times in eight weeks. I have a system of how they're marked, which helps me remember in what order they were born (for no particular reason than the buyers love knowing), and it helps me when I photograph them always in this order:
1st boy: Lt. shoulder boy
2nd boy: Rt. shoulder boy
....etc: Lt. hip boy, Rt. hip boy, rear, neck... repeat with girls.

When I photograph them stacked, it is always in this order, so it matters not if their mark shows to the camera, I know who is who.

Dian

When I had all blacks I had luck with little pieces of masking tape which I colored with non-toxic markers and stuck on their butts or between the shoulders. Mom did not bother them and they stayed on for several days. It was easy to refresh as needed when the pups were being weighed.

I went the fabric paint route. Lasts for days and days unless your pups get soaking wet. I've also heard of people using a laundry marker to mark their bellies, but then you have to pick each one up to find who you are looking for.