Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help needed Please with AKC re: Name Change

I just got off the phone with the AKC. A dog of mine had paperwork sent in to the AKC with the name partially left blank by a co-owner. The transaction was completed Sept 11th, 2007.

Because this dog has been shown, the AKC is refusing to change this mistake. It's a pretty bad one. I think in normal circumstances there is 30 days to make a change.

I am very upset with this and was wondering if anyone has had any success at all in a similar situation with getting a change made. I am waiting for a call back but the person I spoke to this morning was pretty adamant about not being able to change this.

I would hate to live with this and if anyone has suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Re: Help needed Please with AKC re: Name Change

Has he taken points? I heard that you could change the name with AKC unless they've taken points - I think that might be in the 30 day period. Hopefully someone will know more.

I thought the name could not be changed after placing in an AKC event. But I do remember the rules are clear on the AKC website. I just don't have time right now to look them up but I am curious.

Susan - This is right off the AKC site ~ ~
How do I change the name of my dog?

Answer: Please note that a dog's name cannot be changed once the dog is registered unless the error was on the part of the AKC or the dog is eligible for the name change provision stated below.

A one-time change in the name of a dog, whelped in the United States and registered with the American Kennel Club, will be permitted. The dog must have first been registered by the breeder(s) of record, and the breeder(s) must agree to any change in name. The dog's name cannot be changed if the dog has produced or sired an AKC registered litter or received an award at an AKC licensed or member event.

If there are multiple breeders, the dog first can be registered in one of the breeder's names. When transferred to new ownership, only that breeder's signature will be required to change the name.

Any change in name must comply with all AKC requirements.

I would persist and move up the AKC chain of command if you do not get "help"...Good Luck

Looks like that is the problem...he has already been shown and received an award. I take this to mean that even a 4th out of 4th in a class is an "award".

If it were mine, I too as Susan mentioned, try to move up the chain of command to see if you can work with them. The worst that anyone could say is no....

Good Luck

Re: Re: Help needed Please with AKC re: Name Change

Can someone pleae explain this to me. I don't live in the USA so I can't understand how a puppy that you bred can have a name change with out the breeder saying that is OK. When we bred a litter of puppies the registration and Puppy pedigree name is sent BY THE BREEDER to the kennel club, this is the pups name for life, if the pup is being sold to another breeder then you can if you wish add the new owners kennel prefix on the end of the puppy name which also includes your kennel name. I can't understand how a puppy buyer could change the name or even why the new puppy buyer had the registration papers WITH the breeders signiture on them, over here they never see them until they have gone to the kennel club and they are sent an updated set of papers listing them as the owner. Sorry I am not being smart here I just find it incredible that the AKC can do this or any kennel club for that matter.

Re: Re: Re: Help needed Please with AKC re: Name Change

OK just re-read you post and it is a co ownership, that doesn't change anything though, to do a name change the Kennel club here would need the signitures of ALL owners, and if someone had forged a signiture then I am pretty sure the Kennel clud would take a very dim view on this.

I had checked into this a few months ago - when I was feeling some pressure to get some young ones registered before a show. You can make a name change if the dog has competed and not won a placement. However, if he wins one class, then it cannot be changed. If he competes and does not win a placement, they told me that the name could be changed, but would always need to be entered as so and so ///aka the original name. Given that info - I decided not to even enter the show with worries about the name change.

Re: Re: Help needed Please with AKC re: Name Change

I did have to have names changed years ago but it was an error on my part I sent in 2 puppies registrations and had checked off the wrong sex box so the girl got her brothers name and the male got his sisters name, they did fix it but it was a hassle and they had told me if they had won any ribbons in classes they wouldn't have changed it.