Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hyperactive lab

Hi everyone!
I got a puppy and know I'm getting really fed up with this dog...
It seems to be a hyperactive dog...
I'd like to receive any advices from you because this puppy gets the other dogs fed up too...
I'm getting crazy! PLEASE HELPE ME!!

Re: hyperactive lab

Puppies have TONS of energy - didn't this occur to you BEFORE you brought a new pup into your home? Try playing with him and getting him some exercise. Even just a game of 'fetch' in the yard for 20 minutes could make a big difference. Good luck with your pup.

Enroll the pup in a Puppy Kindergarten class; follow the advice of the other poster, pups need exercise, other types of stimulation to work their minds...pups are little sponges - they need to, and love to, learn.

Re: Re: hyperactive lab

I do understand he's pup...and understand their behavior too...all that energy....but he doesn't stop barking just one second he's always behind the adult female and that's getting her crazy too...I tried to exercice him many times but that's not working...
I do understand labs love to play all the time but I do believe they have to stop one second for taking a rest...this puppy does not stop a second..Geezz..he's 7 months old ..

Contact your breeder. The breeder knows their dogs better than a thousand strangers on a web forum do. Lets hope you bought from a good breeder who will assist you.

Dian

Something to remember is that this problem is not the puppy's fault, and I am sure he or she is as stressed in this difficult situation as you are, "Furious."
Get some help, whether from the pup's breeder, a good trainer,some books, a doggie friend....I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions here as well, and I hope the Forum will serve as a positive resource for you.
Just try to stay calm and focus on solving the problem in the best way for (1st) the puppy, and (2nd) for you and your family.

Be patient with the pup. It is true that some have more energy than others. What works for one pup might not work for another. Try different ways to focus the dogs energey and find what works. You might think this is easy for me to say, but I have been dealing with this for almost 2 years now. I have to be creative to think of things for my male to do, because if I don't, he will find something to do on his own and I might not agree. This dog is always busy and RARELY lays down on his own to rest, and if he does and I acknowledge that he is being good, he is up in a second and busy. Try to redirect his attention and focus on the times when he is doing what you want (even if they are few and far between). Try to "capture" these moments and help him learn. Obedience is paramount. Although my dog has a lot of energy, he is also obedient. When I am "fed up" and put him in a controlled down stay. He may be awake and looking around during this time, but he understands he must take a break and stay. Judge the length of time by the age of the puppy and increase your expectations gradually. Also, you may find it helpful to teach him "speak" and then teach him "quiet". This may help with his inappropriate vocalizing. Labs really do like to please. Get some advice from a trainer or book and maybe try a clicker. You might be suprised, he just might be offering behaviors for that click and treat. Just be careful that you don't inadvertently reward bad behaviors and teach him "nothing in life is free". He gets attention, praise, and rewards from you when he is being calm and well-behaved. Good luck.

If he is a hyperactive puppy, he was that way
when he was 7 weeks and will remain that way
for years. In my experience.

Did you tell the breeder before you got the
puppy what type of personality you wanted in
a Lab??? For me, it is so easy to fit puppies
with families according to their life style
by 7-8 weeks.

There is nothing more disapointing than expecting
a mellow puppy and receiving one that bounces
of the walls 24/7 and vise versa.

I would contact the breeder!

check the food he's eating....maybe a change will help with some of his behavior issues....there's been alot said here on this forum on the connection between various diets - the pros and cons - and canine behavior. He may need to be put on a food with less carbs, or a food with no chemical additives/preservatives.....

What kind of schedule has he been on for the past 5 months? Maybe he needs more one on one with you? It is amazing how some dogs turn around if they are "working" or having special time with their owner.

I just finished Cesar Milan's new book and it is excellent. Can't recommend it enough. He goes way into detail on behavior issues and satisfying the dogs "breed" first. Retrievers need a purpose and plenty of exercise. Great book!

Re: Re: Re: hyperactive lab

I find some are very content to just be a dog. Others really need a job. Do a little obedience with the dog. It will make a world of difference. They love it. They look forward to just that time you give just them and don't get into half the trouble.

Yes!

I have a dog who was very wound, all the time. Finally we examined his diet and we decided to cut his protein way back (to <20%) and he did beautifully.

It's worth a try.

I have always told my puppy owners that their dogs will be happiest with a job (some will need one or two jobs!), and that they need to remember that until their new puppy walks on two legs and brings home a paycheck they are in charge - NOT the dog.
Some dogs are simply more driven than others and like really intelligent children they will need to be challenged. How about obedience classes and finding a club that does agility?? You get to combine discipline with great exercise!! Good Luck.