Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Autosomal Recessive

In a previous post the term autosomal recessive is mentioned. What is the inheritance factor for an autosomal recessive, ie: affected x carrier, carrier x carrier, normal x carrier?

Re: Autosomal Recessive

Best to read Control of Canine Genetic Diseses by George A. Padgett, DVM. The book will answer your question.

It's a simple Punit square.

Normal X Normal = 100% Normal
Normal X Carrier = 50% Normal and 50% Carrier
Affected X Affected = 100% Affected
Affected X Carrier = 50% Affected and 50% Carrier
Affected X Normal = 100% Carrier
Carrier X Carrier = 50% Carrier 25% Affected 25% Normal

Re: Re: Autosomal Recessive

Sorry I was typing quickly.

Affected X Carrier = 75% Affected and 25% Carrier

Sharon, are you sure about the affected x carrier = 75% affected 25% carrier?

Did the Punnett square using gene A.
Aa - carrier
aa - affected

a a
A Aa Aa
a aa aa

It gave me 1/2 Carrier and 1/2 Affected

If I did this wrong, my Genetics test today is going to be a problem.

I do get confused with some of the terminology however if you are referring to something like a PRA test, according to Optigen if you breed Affected to Carrier you do get in any given puppy 50% chance of Affected, 50% chance of Carrier. If I'm way off and you're speaking of something else, sorry.

I think a disease is autossomal recessive when you breed "carrier x carrier" and results "affected dog". Am I right or wrong?

I don't take Genetics exams- I write them and grade them! You are correct- affected X carrier is Aa X aa and would give 50% Carrier and 50% affected.

A recessive allele must be inherited from both parents in order to be expressed. A dominant allele need be inherited from only one parent. If an individual has a dominant allele and a recessive allele )ie a carrier), the dominant one will be expressed. The recessive will not be expressed but can be passed on to the offspring.

Autosomal means that the gene is not on the X (or Y) chromosomes. Most genes are autosomal. X linked genes have a different inheritance pattern because males have only one X chromosome, inherited from their mother. Females have two X chromosomes and therefore two alleles for every trait. Y linked genes are very rare, but would be passed on from father to son.

No you are correct - my quick typing was right! Then my mind was absent thinking 50%/50% for the dominant gene and 100% for the recessive giving a 75/25

Re: Re: Re: Autosomal Recessive

autosomal means - any chromosome other than the sex chromosome

recessive is when the trait is only expressed if passed on by both parents. It takes two to tango.

Re: Re: Re: Autosomal Recessive

You were thinking of phenotypes in a carrier X Carrier cross. 75% would be normal in phenotype and 25% would be affected.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Autosomal Recessive

thank you!!!!