Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Psychology of owning Labs

The menopause thread got me thinking. Most of us are middle aged women, right? Or at least started showing/breeding around that time? Why do you think that is so? Psychologically, are we looking for something or someone to love us back? Is it a need to nurture? Or, do we just plain love animals? Maybe a mixed bag? Why are you in this sport?

Re: The Psychology of owning Labs

I do think that all of your hipothesis are correct. In my opinion there are many ´breeders´ who are in the dogworld to find a kind of compensation for their egos. others truely love the dogs. some feel the need to get out and meet people. the list goes on and on! however, there are cases where a kind of compensation is uppermost in many minds.

Re: Re: The Psychology of owning Labs

That is the age many of us become empty nesters. I spent a lot of years driving to swim meets, football games and scouting activities. My interest in labs was always there, but the time for a labrador hobby was not.

Money! Greed! Didn't even cross my mind as the reason to be in this sport. I will say that I have found pleasure in providing people with quality companions. Makes me feel good when someone with a disability goes home with one of my dogs.

My Lab listens better than my teenager. If he doesn't I can put him in a crate. Do I want another child or a Lab? Easy answer.

No kids, don't want them. Dogs are better behaved than most kids I know. Opted for dogs instead. I like being with them and their desire to have a job got me into OB, hunt tests, and then into showing. I got into dogs around 35, and I am just over 40 now.

[:-)] Re: The Psychology of owning Labs

Well I have obviously confessed to the "menopausal" thing earlier, so that is off the table! However the why are you in dogs got me thinking. First and foremost I am an animal lover. As a teenager my allergies precluded my going to vet school, so I got a different degree. But I still participated in horse events while doped up on Benedryl and Allarest (sp?)and visine. I joyfully started messing around with show and field dogs in my 20's when my allergies changed. I got serious about Labradors in the later 1980's. I found a wonderful group of people, people who helped me ringside, people who shared dogs and dog knowledge. So part of it was social.
Like the previous poster I have had more chuckles out of the "KENNEL" command...there were times I was sure my kids would joyfully put themselves in a crate to escape Mom when someone had gotten into something they were not supposed to!!
I also enjoy showing as a hobby that gives back. I like the science of breeding, the science of genetics, meds and diet. And last but not least...I do not know of any set of golf clubs that love you back no matter whether you win or lose!!

Re: [:-)] Re: The Psychology of owning Labs

Speaking as someone who has gotten into this hobby only in the past few years, its easy to express my reasons.
I wouldn't call myself middle aged yet at 39, but I guess I am getting close.
I think there is a certain time in your life when you feel ABLE to care for other living things...be they human or animal:) Yes, many have human children at a very young age, and maybe they are ready at that time, but I wasn't ready till I was 33. Many changes occurred in my life as a result that also enabled me to be responsible for more doggy kids. While much is physiological, I think it is just as much about where you are in life as far as your home, time, and family. I wanted a healthy hobby that my entire family could benefit from, that would not only fulfill my emotional needs but add to my sons experiences in growing up. I wanted a way of life, and the Labrador way of life was ideal. So versatile and full of life...so many things you can do and share.
So while I am sure empty nester benefit from the joys of Lab breeding, those of us with younger families also gain much from embracing all the various facets of Labradors.
Annie

Re: Re: [:-)] Re: The Psychology of owning Labs

If there IS a relationship between menopause and a Labrador's temperament, Rottweilers and Pit Bulls would be more suited companions. I for one, have never met a Labrador THAT testy!!!

Re: Re: Re: [:-)] Re: The Psychology of owning Labs

Oh, shut up.

To
*** From a Husband***

you are so RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed the menopause thread, but at the ripe old age of 51, I no longer have commitments to basketball, soccer, baseball and softball games. My kids are grown and halfway out of the house. (One still home but not needing very much from me!) I am too young to have grandchildren, but do have the time to spend doing what I love - and that is Labs!
PS Even if and when the grandchildren arrive, they will have to share Grandma's time with my Labs. They are my life, my love, my passion. And now, now....I have the time....

I don't think it has to do with age. I have loved dogs since I was a child and have always had one. It's a passion.

I'm not remotely near that age, but I do know that for my parents (who are in their 50s) it was about 40-45 where they had enough things paid off that they could start dumping lots of money into their hobbies.

Dad bought a boat when I was 18.

Started showing and breeding (collies at that time) at the ripe old age of 14 and am now 51. Took about 12 years off after a divorce and jumping around apartments, states, jobs, etc. but always had at least 2 dogs most of that time and discovered the wonderful labs. I discovered at a young age the nastyness that goes with the sport so now that I am somewhat retired I just do my own thing, show on rare occassion, and enjoy all my dogs and puppys. I do it because I enjoy the dogs and a couple of extra bucks.