Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need advice URGENT

Hello,
I just aquire my first yellow lab with a very good breeder, he is 6 months.
I dont know what he did but, he had like a cut or something on the side of the shoulder, he made it worse because he was scratching, so I put a cord kind of sticky at the bottom of the back legs so he can move but couldnt reach the part near the shoulder and couldnt scratch, the thing on the shoulder is perfect, but for my surprise and unexperience, when I took off the cord, he was hurt now where the cord was, on the ankles, he has no hair there and a Vet, i really dont trust the Vets here, says the hair will never grow again on that part.
Do you know any remedies to this?, is it possible that where he was hurt because of the cord, the hair will never grow, I have not heard that in my life, so I thought to come to the experts and ask for help.
Thank you very much.
Please help.

Re: Need advice URGENT

Sounds like he has a type of 'rope burn' where you had the cord around his legs. If the skin damage is not too deep, the hair may come back - is it a large area, or just a couple of strips?

Next time try putting an old t-shirt on him if he has a sore on his body to try and keep him from scratching at it, and keep his nails trimmed short.

I hope your "breeder" reads this and goes and picks up her puppy YESTERDAY!!

To Wag the dog, that is exactly what it is a rope burn, is not stripes, is a big area for that part of the body, I really don't know if is too deep. I will do the teacher thing next time. What if is too deep?

To Show breed, this has nothing to do with the breeder, I all ready told her and she offered to change the puppie, why do you blame that nice lady?

Again, what can I do if is too deep?

Thank you, please this is very serious for me, don't use it to start fighting against the world.

Don't get discouraged yet. I have seen some nasty dog wounds heal beautifully. Keep it clean and keep some antibiotic ointment on it several times a day. Try to keep it soft so it doesn't get a big scab.

Hello Ricky -

I agree with the poster who said to try antibiotic ointment.

However, you mentioned that you don't really trust the vets 'here'. I am not sure where you are located but it IS important to find a vet you do trust and go ahead and establish a relationship with them.

This forum is a great learning tool, however you may face some situations where you will NEED a vet and it would be far better to establish a relationship with one now, before you are faced with an emergency situation (which hopefully you never will face!!)

IMHO it is important to have a yearly 'Wellness Exam' (and vaccines, if due - I vaccinate every 3 years), HW/Lyme check (if prevelant in your area), +/- fecal check, the goal being to practice preventative medicine.

Maybe you could ask for vet recommendations from your breeder, coworkers, friends, etc.

Good luck with your pup and I hope everything turns out ok!

Thank you for your help. The antibiotic ointment sounds pretty good and you said dont let it dry right?

I all ready ask her for a good Vet, is far away but is worth it, I will practice all those things you mentioned.

Thanks again

Don't tie your dogs legs with ropes - PLEASE

Re: Re: Need advice URGENT

http://www.mederma.com/

for scars....