Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
QUESTIONS

JUST CURIOUS TO ASK SOME SIMPLE QUESTIONS......
1.HOW MUCH TIME DOGS ARE KEPT IN A KENNEL IN A DAY,
2.HOW MUCH TIME OUT FOR PLAY,
3.HOW MANY TIMES SWIMMING IN A WEEK,
4.HOW MUCH TRAVELLING IN A MONTH (EXCEPT SHOWS),
5.HOW MANY TIMES STUD SERVICES IN A MONTH,
6.HOW MANY LITTERS FROM A PROMINENT FEMALE.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THESE QUESTIONS.

Re: QUESTIONS

OK. I'll play.

QUESTIONS......

At night or when I go on errands during the day.

All day except when I do errands.

Once or twice a week until winter.

We travel to swim, go to PK, obedience classes or field training or to meet a group for walking.

5.HOW MANY TIMES STUD SERVICES IN A MONTH,

It varies. Sometimes none. Sometimes one or two.

6.HOW MANY LITTERS FROM A PROMINENT FEMALE

One a year.

Re: Re: QUESTIONS

just one or two days for swimming in a week?
What if I get my dogs to swim all days of the week? Is that a problem?

Re: Re: Re: QUESTIONS

Nope, but by the end of this thread, it will be!

Not to be the troll police but whose business is it how anyone cares for their dogs on a daily basis? These questions are all the usual items that come up when AR inspired legislation on standards of care are created. This is a question where I would definitely answer with a alias.

Thank you Gina. You are right and I always thought it was quality time, not just time spent with there dogs!

If I could swim my dogs more than once or twice a week, I would, but the closest pond is over an hour away.

"just one or two days for swimming in a week?
What if I get my dogs to swim all days of the week? Is that a problem?"

I agree Gina, this question is loaded and will lead to nothing but problems. What matters most to me is my labs are well cared for are loved. Who cares how many hours they swim and how much they travel (which is more then I do alone, thats for sure!)

I have a huge lake right out my front door, but i haven't swam a dog in it in over 10 years.
I do take my dogs as often as I can to friends spring fed small lake, only one there, and not big enough to eat anybody

I don't mind playing, what's a couple of questions, my dogs, my choice.

That varies, everyone is crated when I work at night, most come in if it's too hot or if they are all in during a storm, some are crated, some aren't.
They are out all the time that they want to be, my family spends a lot of time outdoors.
That questions would be more like "how many times monthly" I live in florida, unless it's hunting season, they go when I feel like taking them.
Alot, we have conformation and obedience classes, I take dogs with me to kids baseball games, horse shows, and kids rodeo.
5.HOW MANY TIMES STUD SERVICES IN A MONTH
I don't own any studs, and I only breed 1-2 litters a year.
6.HOW MANY LITTERS FROM A PROMINENT FEMALE.
No girl of mine will have not more than 4 litters in a lifetime, some less.

Now, I think it's only fair that you answer the questions that you asked

Just a question about swimming the dogs, I try to swim mine everyday but sometimes that isn't possiable. Do any of you that swim them alot have trouble with their coats, they all seem to have dull coats yet are on a premium food. Dogs are only in kennels at night, are with me during the day on the farm. 1-2 litters per year.Stud dog used about once every couple of months depends on the seasons of peoples girls.Not much traveling at all in a month.Would have up to 4 litters from a bitch at the most.

Just noticed that I didn't answer this question correctly:

6.HOW MANY LITTERS FROM A PROMINENT FEMALE

My bitches have 2 or 3 litters in their lifetime.

I don't see anything wrong with this thread. It's always interesting to hear how other people raise their dogs and what they do with them. I would prefer to think this is an innocent discussion.

I see that some people are only mend for criticism as these were realy an innocent questions and i am happy that some people realy enjoyed it,i only welcome the people who enjoyed...........HATS OFF

1.HOW MUCH TIME DOGS ARE KEPT IN A KENNEL IN A DAY? My girls spend the day in the kennel (kennel yard is 30 x 60)if hubby is in the field, but come in the house at lunch time with me when I am home for dinner, and then when I get home from work they hang with me all evening. If hubby is not in the field they hang with him, in the house or riding around in his pick up with him, or on the gator. Only puppies are in crates at night, and I have a 16 week old puppy that is already proving to be awesome at night out of her crate...sleeping on a comforter on the floor beside the bed, while her mother sleeps on the foot of the bed, our other bitch sleeps between hubby and I, and the oldest bitch sleeps cuddled next to hubby on his side of the bed.

2.HOW MUCH TIME OUT FOR PLAY? They are out to play as much as they want to be. I walk them through the fields and to the ditch evenings, and weekends. We often go to town to walk as well. They play in the kennel yard...or in the farm yard whenI am outsode with them to make sure they stay out of harms way as we are an active farm with machinery and vehicles moving around.

3.HOW MANY TIMES SWIMMING IN A WEEK? There are not any dog friendly lakes in my area. We do not have a pond on the farm. But my new house and yard will definitely have canine quarters...pre-requisite for them and a plantation porch for me.

4.HOW MUCH TRAVELLING IN A MONTH (EXCEPT SHOWS)? We take them with us as often as we can, even if it is just to run to the bank. We went to Missouri a couple weeks ago and we did not even know we had two along. One was our bitch and the other was her 13 week old puppy. We picked up another 13 week old puppy and came home. They sleep better and are better travelers than I am.

5.HOW MANY TIMES STUD SERVICES IN A MONTH? I do not own any studs.

6.HOW MANY LITTERS FROM A PROMINENT FEMALE. I would never have more than 4 litters from a female and only then if she was in tip top shape, was an easy whelper and enjoyed motherhood.

I anjoyed reading others answers and enjoyed answering these myself. My human children are grown and I enjoy my labs as much as I enjoyed my human kids. Sometimes more as they are not lippy, well I never know what they are saying when they are lippy. And the best part is it is legal to put them in cages.

Rita, are you from India? Are you looking to get into the breed or are you there already? Is that the reason for the questions to prepare yourself for the commitment?? Just curious and cautious for the reasons Gina mentioned.

Good luck!