Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
indoor shows, question if this is allowable

First I need to know if this is even allowable, maybe it's against AKC rules.

We have no handling classes locally to practice on mats indoors. Have a young one who hated the mats at her first indoor show and wouldn't move out.
So may question is this, say you arrived at the show site the night before and all was set up and the building was open, is it allowable to practice in the rings?
I know the obedience rings you can't go in once they are set up, right? But this would be conformation.

Re: indoor shows, question if this is allowable

Don't know the answer to that but I believe Roy Jones sells used mats.

I seem to remember reading in a premium that this was not allowed. Double check the rules in the premium for that show - should be in there.

Re: No practice allowed

Practicing in the ring is NOT allowed at a show even if it's the night before.

Best to contact a superintendent or a dog club about buying used matting. Remember to use duct tape as this changes the sight picture of the mat to the dog and can give them something to worry over.

You know, it may just be the duct tape! I hadn't thought about that. We have long heavy black rubber runners down the aisle of our kennel area because floor is cement and I don't want them slipping and she certainly doesn't mind those.
I'll run some duct tape along the edges and see what happens. Thanks so much!

Re: Re: indoor shows, question if this is allowable

don't forget to put the duct tape across the mat as well and not just on the edges. The corners of matting are always creatively duct taped in strange ways. Best to create an environment of variety.

I do agree that it is against AKC rules when it comes to practicing in the rings. Duct tape can be an issue. Last year, one of my youngsters acted strangely with the mats (his first indoor show). So I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way back to the hotel, picked up some duct tape and proceeded to decorate the hotel carpet in our room for he could get used to it. You should have seen the look on the face of my roommate when she got back from the show when she saw the duct tape. Jokingly, I told her that this was my side of the room and she had the other side. But it worked (at least for the dog).