Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
diarrhea?

my dog has diarrhea and has had it since yesterday. i have heard to give them applesauce when they get this, but ni was wondering how much to give to a dog that is around 60 pounds? any other suggesions that do not include fasting the dog would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much!
Lucky Labs

Re: diarrhea?

Honestly, I would think applesauce for a dog would CAUSE diarrhea. Now I have heard that canned pumpkin works. But I always have good luck with a couple of Pepto too.

Re: Re: diarrhea?

i would have thought that apple sauce would cause diarrhea also but a few other people have told ,me otherwise that's why i asked on here to se what everyone else thought. thanks i'll try it.
Lucky Lab

Re: Re: Re: diarrhea?

Cottage cheese also works.

Re: Re: Re: Re: diarrhea?

how much cottage cheese should i give to her?

boiled chicken and rice

I agree with boiled chicken & rice also. I would not think applesause would help I would think it would cause loose stools.

I usually add a heaping tablespoon of cottage cheese when needed.

I use one of a couple things depending on the dog. I will use Activia by Dannon and only the vanilla flavor they get a whole 6oz container, or I use 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin or 1/2 immodium or a TBS of Pepto. It all depends on the dog and the type of diarrhea. Good luck.

I would cut back on the dogs reg. food or quit entirely going with boiled rice and chicken for a day or so.

The pumpkin, cottage cheese and yogurt are all good ideas.

applesauce has never bound me up

I also give a very bland diet either very learn ground beef cooked on stove/rice or boiled chicken/rice. Cut out the kibble and use this for 24 hours and then slowly put back on kibble.

Pumpkin, pepto pills (mine spit out the liquid) I have also used.

Also, I would ensure if it continues to get a fecal float done on her. Metronidazole (old Flagyl) may also be needed. Good Luck.

I don't feed at all for 24 hours (at least) - no water for 12. Nothing in, will clear the gut. Non-flavored pedialate when to rehydrate, then hopefully on to normal food.

We always have low residue food on hand - like ID in a can - or low residue kibble. You can feed smaller amounts; give yogurt; pumpkin; tylan powder; or boiled chicken and rice. If it is short-lived, that should do it. If not - fast for 12 hours to rest the intestine and maybe get the vet to prescribe something, and maybe test the stool. Some people use immodium - but I have never used it.

I cut back on the regular food, and feed bananas. If need be, I will give Kaopectate, if need be. I always keep unflavored PediaLyte on hand, too, for just such an occasion, so the dog doesn't dehydrate. Once the diarrhea subsides, I begin feeding rice with a bit of soy sauce or some chicken broth until I feel the stomach has rested enough and is ready for the regular food again.

Cottage cheese has worked form me. About 2 tbsp in each meal (2x/day).

But be careful, if you over do it you can bind the dog.

I also agree with a bland diet and add cottage cheese to that.

Probiotics are also good to sooth the intestinal tract after a bout of diarrhea.

Yes, you can use applesauce for diarrhea. If you give rice with the sauce it will work even better. Not sure of the exact amount but I would guess about 2 Tablespoons. The book I read it in never gave amounts...