Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppies

Has anyone heard of a litter of 5 Labs being born, all small. Then two weeks later eyes still blue, not walking and only weighing a little over a pound. Could this be due to a uterine infection of the dam passed somehow to the pups? Thank you for you responses.

Re: puppies

Having blue eyes at 2 weeks is pretty normal. So is not walking at 2 weeks. They're usually still crawling at this point. How much were they when born?

Re: Re: puppies

I would be very concerned about the weight of those pups, take them to the vet! Asking on here is fine, ya know when like asking about worms, flea's that kind of stuff but realistically you should be asking a vet. They should go to the vet! I have a small litter now they are 11 days old, over three pounds each!

Good luck! BUT GO TO THE VET!

How small were they? As for the eyes still being blue they usually stay that color until well after 8 weeks. For them to only weigh a little over a pound though would concern me, they are supposed to double their birth weight or more within a week and by two weeks should be 2 x as heavy as they were when they were born. Are they active? Eating well? Does mom have enough milk? If not are you supplementing? I agree you should take them and mom to the vets.
Aloha,
jackie

This info came from a friend of mine who was getting a pup from out West, we are on the East Coast. I'm still not sure of all the info on the litter, but, the breeder said the pups were not of normal size. The thing that I found interesting was the uterine thing.

Re: Re: Re: puppies

This is not coming from me, but, a woman I work with.

Again, this has nothing to do with me. I still am concerned as to why the breeder is suggesting it may be a uterine infection affecting the litter.

Re: Re: Re: puppies

Perhaps she is not telling the whole story. If they are out west and you are on the east coast...........
All I can say is if they were mine they would have been to the about a week and a half ago. I think one pound at 2 weeks is way too small especially with a litter of I think you said only 5. I hope things work out for the pups.

Maybe they aren't purebred. Determined small boys and cooperative girls can accomplish what looks impossible.

Blue eyes as babys is what they are suppose to have.
Not walking but moving around a little yes. And who knows how she might have weigh them. Sound normal to me. Are these Labs ?

The eyes wouldnt concern me, but lab pups just over a pound at 2 weeks would concern me a lot. Most lab pups are born at a pound or more.

Is it possible the mother's milk doesn't have enough nutrition. I would try a suppliment formula.

I had a singleton pup that seemed fine, never cried, tummy was always full but he just didn't gain weight. Only a few oz the first week - I started bottle feeding him and he gained weight like a normal puppy. All we could figure is that mom had lots of milk but it just didn't have any real value. Never had it checked - just kept bottle feeding him.

Grew into a really nice big boy.

Thank all of you for your responses. You have
been most helpful.