Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Florida Breeders

Can anyone tell me what the stipulations are to fly a puppy out of Florida..is just a health certificate required or are proof of innoculations also required? I've got an inquiry from a natural rearing client who does not want her puppy vaccinated that young.

Re: Florida Breeders

Then don't fly the pup until it is vaccinated!!
Too dangerous!
With all the parvo going around, I would never, ever risk it.
Who knows what other pups on the plane are carrying what... If it was my customer, they would be told, no vaccinations, no puppy. Period.

I'd call the Airline and see what their requirements are.

Re: Re: Florida Breeders

I agree 100%. Shots are important to the pup's health--especialy when in more populated areas where it's likely to encounter other dogs. I wouldn't risk it even if the Airline didn't have a problem with it.

Whether the airlines allow it or not, your puppy might carry something with him that would infect the local population (especially if she has other naturally reared dogs.)

You have a right to vaccinate your dogs any way you feel is best, but please keep unvaccinated dogs isolated from other dogs.

I agree with the previous poster. All of my pups are vaccinated, wormed, microchipped before they leave my house. If you want a naturally reared puppy, I'm not the right breeder for you.

I agree, but I'm wondering what the laws are.

Re: Re: Re: Florida Breeders

As far as I know a health certificate within 10 days of shipping is all that is necessary unless the pup is old enough for a rabies vaccination. All dogs over 6 months (correct me if I'm wrong) must have a rabies vaccination. I believe that is a federal law. The airlines do not require the other vaccinations.

Rabies is 3 months in some states. I belive that 9 weeks is the age that they can be shipped in most states.

Here in California, you may ship a puppy at 8 weeks of age, and a Rabies vaccine cannot be given before the age of 16 weeks.

Puppies must be 8 weeks of age for shipping, a health certificate is required signed by the vet and dated within 10 days of shipping indicating pup is in good health and can be shipped. No booster required. Rabies however is required by 16 weeks of age though some states have now changed to 12 weeks for shipping. Federal law is still 16.

That being said, personally I would not ever ship a puppy withough it's first booster and a good exam (required as noted anyway).

I am in Florida..........

State law, here, is that any animal sold must be at least 8 weeks and have proper vaccinations and be free of all internal and external parasites (Heart Worm test must be done on older dogs sold). If this is not done, the seller is in violation of the law and can be prosecuted, and some HAVE been prosecuted.

A Lisc. Vet who does the Health Certificate will only issue one with,at minimum, a mandatory Distemper/Parvo, mandatory Bordatella and de-worming at no younget than 8 weeks. This is separate from the Airline required flyaway certificate which is proof of rabies and climatization.

Rabies is frequently given at 12 weeks, here

I have not heard of a Vet issuing a fly away certificate without issuing a health certificate following state law as to what innoculations must be given. Flyaway certs are only good for 10 days, Health certificates are good for 30 days.

The flyaways I have done contain a state health certificate (vaccinations) AND the flyaway document stating "too young for rabies" and a note on range of temps animal can be exposed to. This follows the Law.

Hope that makes sense.

It does make sense and thank you very much.

Just another suggestion, if this is a puppy~ given that shipping a dog now a days is not as inexpensive nor does it feel as safe as it used to for me I would suggest the new owner purchasing a round trip airline ticket and coming to get the dog. This way, if it is a puppy, you can use a small sherpa carrier and take it in the cabin with you. Fee's are less, you are SURE the puppy is well taken care of, and breeder & owner get to establish an in person rapport if they have not already met face to face.

That was the plan, but not without vaccines.

FROM DETROIT TO FLORIDA as a carrying on, you should have a vet cert for an 8 weeks old pup so that it may be produce if asked.a carrying is only up to a certain weight( approx 15 pounds) and put in a carrying bag on the plane with you. the airline requirement only said to have a vet certicate stating the dog is in good health, they did not say it had to have first shots.Our pet people flew up ,picked up the pup and flew back the next day .no problems.

State of Florida requires a Florida State health certificate for dog or cat that is sold in the state of florida. Also puppies and kittens can't be sold legally until 8 weeks, or even advertised for that much. This law is always printed in any advertising section of a newspaper or online pet resources.

The have agriculture check points in the state florida, pretty easy to slip by with a pet, you are REQUIRED to stop if you are transporting livestock.
If they pull you over though,,you better have that health certificate or you'll be sitting at the agriculture office with a on call mobile vet paying for an emergency one. Not fun, and it could be hours.

Yes, it happens.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0828/SEC29.HTM&Title=-%3E2003-%3ECh0828-%3ESection%2029