Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cutting the twizzle

Do I or don't I on 6 month old puppies for their first shows?

It's so cute. I feel like a mother who has to take her child for his first haircut.

Re: cutting the twizzle

leave it on...indicates a good wrapped tail.

Re: Re: cutting the twizzle

Agreed. I have never cut a twizzle on an adult or a pup.

If it as an all-breed show not all the judges even know what a wrapped tail is. I have seen a rounded tail rewarded because it looks more otter like.
Most pro-handnlers/groomers want to trim it.

Leave it. The judge can feel the difference.

don't cut it

No! Don't cut the twizzle!

I like twizzles. :) When I see the rounded tail, I just think. Oh a groomed Lab. Makes no sense.

No one gets near my Lab's twizzles with a scissor.
My vote is LEAVE IT!!!!

I really stressed about this as a new person b/c I wanted everything to be perfect. I was then taught over the years handlers cut, breeder/owner/handlers don't. We don't b/c I value a good coat (after having dogs that wouldn't twizzle) and also hate looking at a cut one until it grows back out!

I've been asked NOT to trim the twizzle of my Mom's dog's tail. BUT for my own dogs, I do trim the end of their tails, at the same time I do their nails.

Guess its a matter of preference - I'm going to watch at specialties and all breed shows out of curiosity.

I only trim any stray hairs but otherwise leave the twizzle alone no matter what age AND leave the whiskers on, too.

somewhere, somehow, i heard it was bad luck to cut the twizzle

ok, i am incredibly superstitious

but I still don't cut the twizzle

barb

Sorry, but could someone please tell me what you mean by twizzle . TIA

It's the little twisty curl at the end of the tail, some have it others don't. It usually means good coat is coming, with a nicely wrapped tail!

Thanks! That explains why I didn't know what it is.....I've been waiting 18 months for a nice coat

I have always trimed the twizzle. If you do it right it looks natural. Guess it is just ones own preference. Just like not bathing your stinky dogs.

Re: Re: Re: cutting the twizzle

"....Just like not bathing your stinky dogs"

That's ONE thing I just don't get. I don't bathe my dogs before shows (superstitious for one, they WIN when I DON'T), but none of them are sticky to the touch and stink. I was looking at a potential stud and finally got my hands on him, and had to run to the restroom to wash up...it was so nasty. And the dog won BOB that day too. I just don't understand it. If leaving your dog gross like that gets the win, I resolve never to win.

Ok, I just have to tell you guys this thread has given me a new puppy name. "Twizzle" So darn cute!! Of course I mentioned it to a friend only to find out she had used it years ago... and here I thought I was being original.

Just had to say thank you for this thread... one day if and when you see a Twizzle you will know where it came from LOL

One time I was at a match with one of my boys, it was very laid back, I ended up taking a Group 3, but the judge noted that my she was disappointed that I had cut off the twizzle, however, I did not, he does have a moderatly well-wrapped tail, but no twizzle is ever apparant.
I didn't tell her otherwise, and didn't want to make her sound like she was wrong and all that, so I let it go....But can't some judges just let it go, and admit the fact that just some labs don't have those twizzles!

What if the twizzle is really long, like three inches, and really out of control? Is it okay to trim it slightly then?

Depends on how it looks. If I have a good tail and the twizzle makes it look like a pencil, I'll probably trim it.