Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is a "National Champion"

I know a UKC Champion and the Int'l Champion in the US (versus the FCI one), but I've seen on a breeder's site that there are several "National Champions". What does this mean? Is this a competitive title? The photographs look like they have medals like the International shows.

Thanks in advance.

Re: What is a "National Champion"

A National Champion is an IABCA title, given to pups before they are old enough to compete for the International title. There is no requirement to be a National CH prior to becoming an International, it's just an age thing.

Just to clarify what Karlene said - this is not an AKC title, but a title given by a different organization. There is no competition for these titles - the dogs are judged against the written standard (I believe they use the FCI standard) only, not against each other, to attain the title. There is competition at these shows for Best of Breed, Group, etc..., but the dog has to receive 3 of the highest ratings from 3 judges from 2 countries to attain the title of National Champion or International Champion with the IABCA. These title shouldn't be confused either with true International Champions who have finished in multiple countries under FCI rules.

Most people think these titles are "fun", but they really don't mean a whole heck of a lot, other than to try and impress pet people who they are selling puppies to. You do get a written evaluation of your dog from the judge, so that is interesting to read.

"National CH" is definately issued by IABCA, BUT it is also given to an adult(over 18 months) who does NOT meet the criteria for an Intl CH title(3 V-1 or "excellent" ratings).

A National CH must receive a minimum of 3 V-2, or "good" ratings.