Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Earliest age for stud dogs first breeding ?

I know every dog is different, but what is the earliest or average age for a stud dogs first breeding?

Re: Earliest age for stud dogs first breeding ?

I would guess 2 years and 2 months. You watch the conformation hold it together. You get your xrays done at 2. Results are back shortly after and if you pass the clearances you wait for the bitch to come into her days.

JMO

I have seen litters registered to a big name male studded out at 7 months! I see many, many litters from stud dogs in the 12-18 month range. I see a trend towards "proving" a male sometime shortly after 12 months. Oh, these are references to show bred dogs.

Most "Codes of Ethics" define male no younger than 12 months as their guideline for using as a stud.

Re: Re: Earliest age for stud dogs first breeding ?

Well, do what you want, but I will NEVER breed on prelims, therefore I would never breed a male before 2+ years. What's the rush on breeding a young stud? I would rather have concrete clearances that get burned in the end.

In a dream world perhaps....

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I would guess 2 years and 2 months. You watch the conformation hold it together. You get your xrays done at 2. Results are back shortly after and if you pass the clearances you wait for the bitch to come into her days.

JMO

Re: Re: Re: Earliest age for stud dogs first breeding ?

Just remember, no clearance is ever concrete......dogs can crop up with unwanted problems after getting all clearances and being used for breeding. Think epilepsy, cataracts........

There are no absolutes in breeding and raising dogs. Clearances are just a snapshot in time, a view on that day.

And remember too, a dog can have all it's clearances and not be a worthy specimen of it's breed. I'd rather take a chance on breeding a typey, amiable dog that doesn't necessarily have all it's clearances than one that is OFA ex, good elbows, CERF annually, Cardiac cleared and is also cowhocked, pin-headed, single coated, slab-sided, and would snap your head off given the chance......

Clearances don't make the dog; look at the bigger picture.

I can think of lots of reasons to breed on prelims, the most obvious is if it's a great combination of pedigrees and it's the bitch's last litter... Wouldn't be my first choice normally, but it's not an absolute no.

I too have heard of very young dogs being able to produce. Can young males just (not get it) at a year? What I mean is are they just too goofy to be able to perform until closer to 2? Still new at this but want to use a young dog for breeding.

My chocolate boy was bred his first time (to a b*tch owned by his breeder)at ten months old, and sired a lovely litter of ten.

I never breed before my boys have all of their clearances so they are 2 plus years old. Why hurry?

JanG

Nancy posted common reasons above.

While there may be a good reason to breed on prelims once in a while, it seems as if this is becoming more and more common and the studs used are getting younger. I too would like to know what the hurry is. There are a lot of nice Labradors out there that one more litter is not going to change the world. I wonder if breeding young dogs is done more to feed our own egos than to "maintain the breed". I think a dog should prove himself worthy of being bred before the breeding. This includes health clearances and some kind of accomplishment in the field or in the show ring. It is hard to believe a 7 or 9 month old puppy has had time to prove himself.

I used to be a real purist on this - 2 years, and that's all there is to it. I'm still that way on bitches, and always will be, but with the boys I'm at least willing to consider some departures depending on the circumstances. If I have good solid prelims and know what's behind the boy and am pretty confident in the prelims holding up, I might use him on my own bitch, or to that occasional pet bitch with a nice pedigree whose owner has done all the right things and is going to breed her to someone anyway. And in the back of my mind is the fact that in Europe they get clearances at a year instead of having to wait until two. No flames, please - this still isn't my usual practice, and I'm not about to advocate for this as absolutely OK all the time for anyone.... It's just a little different perspective to consider in the grand scheme of things.

I'm finding this discussion interesting as I have a 9 1/2 month old male right now. I have every bitch in the house (pugs, too) due in season any time now and plan to send him out to my field trainer when they come in. Good time to put the brain in the head to work rather than the "little brain" I think.
Besides, he isn't even lifting a leg yet (thank goodness).

However, my question to those more experienced is this: even if you aren't going to breed until age 2 or older (which would be my plan if all checks out okay and he is worthy) do you test semen for quality earlier. My thought is that if I am spending money showing in breed, training in field, etc. I probably should be sure he is fertile. Any thoughts on this? We do have a repro vet about 20 min. away who can do semen analysis, etc. for very reasonable fee.

laura@or-allabs.com

I agree Greg. The breeder knew the history on my boy, and he had solid pre-lims (ofa excellent). Of course, he went on to pass everything. It's personal preference and we don't do it as a normal practice either. What isn't a gamble in this profession?

Deb, I do start collecting my boys early in order to check viability etc... It also get's him used to the glove/hand/process. I do my own collections. As with anything else, they learn by repetition/reward and by the time they are ready to actually be bred, they know they get their great reward, a big cookie, for the performance. It also helps with stud service in that I dont need a bitch in heat.

I do agree with some of the others there are numerous reasons for breeding a boy off a solid pre lim.