Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cran Caps revisited

Greetings. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

My oldest female has a vaginal infection, second one in a year. Treating it with antibiotics, but thought I would try cran caps for her and my other spayed females. Figure it can't hurt.

Can anyone provide brand names, and where you purchase the cran caps?

Thanks. You can email me privately.

MK

Re: Cran Caps revisited

I think the cranberry only works for urinary/bladder issues.

MK,

I buy a brand of cranberry capsules from Wal Mart. I get the extra strength kind. I can't remember the brand but Wal Mart doesn't carry a huge selection. I give one pill in the a.m. and one in the p.m.

I use crancaps for UTIs and I don't think they are going to be enough to tackle a vaginal infection.

You could give probiotics and continue after finishing with the antibiotics to help prevent a re-curring infection.

Re: Re: Cran Caps revisited

Doc says in older bitches the pelvis tips a bit, and can cause urine pooling just inside the vulva, which can turn into a high bacterial count if conditions are good.

The cran caps are supposed to make the urine more acidic, which would make the urine inhospitable to bacterial overgrowth.

That's the theory I am working under.

Thanks to those who have provided brand names for me to look for. I won't step foot in a Wal-Mart, so I will try some other locations like the health food store, etc.

MK

MK, forgot to post where I get my crancaps.

www.progressivelabs.com They carry good quality products and ship quickly.

Re: Re: Cran Caps revisited

Thanks Patty!

MK

How many mg is each capsule and how many times per day?

TIA

Try Dogzymes brand Cran-Tri-C, from Natures Farmacy. It is a powdered supp and is very potent. I usually get the Cran caps from CVS or Costco. I try to avoid wal-mart also.

I buy my cran caps at either Trader Joe's, or my local Longs Drug store. One of the important things is to make sure there are no added sugars, or artificial sweeteners, or dyes etc... I look for an "all natural" label, read it, and make sure it has only what I want my girls to have. I give one 400 mg cran cap everyday in their dinner, until they are out of their first season. One of my girls has an inverted vulva, and has never had a UTI. Works for me, and it sounds like it may work for you too, MK. It certainly can't hurt, Good luck!
Shelley

"How many mg is each capsule and how many times per day?"

For a UTI I give 2100 mg capsules - 2 per day (a.m. and p.m.) directly in the food.

If just warding off UTIs then I only give 1 per day. I check urine PH and if elevated above normal I up to 2 a day for a week or 2 and check PH again. PH has always corrected in that time.

Shelly,

I too use the crancaps to ward off UTIs in pups with recessed/inverted vulvas and my pups never had a UTI up until first heat and vulva corrected.

I mention above that I give 2100 mg. but I see you have had success with 400mg. How old is your pup now with the RV? And are you giving her just 1 capsule daily?

Good to know a lower dose can do the trick as well.

Patty she is just 7 months, and is only slightly inverted, it already looks much better than when she was a baby pup. One of my mentors told me that 400 mgs is what she does, so that is what I do. If more than one cran cap comes out of the bottle, I will occasionaly give her two, because she loves them. Must be the sweet/sour taste?

I also gave it to my older girl, until she was through her first season, and although she isn't/wasn't inverted, I have never had a UTI here *knock on wood*.

Thanks for the info Shelly. I'll consider a lower dose for the future when I run out of what I have now (just ordered a new bottle). not that the 2100mg is harmful but why give more if i don't have to?