Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oh Where, oh where has the bone substance gone?

My cute little puppy is getting skinny legs. Help! Is there anything one can do to build bone substance?

Re: Oh Where, oh where has the bone substance gone?

I think it is there or not. Bone is in the genes in my opinion.

In the genes! Whatever you do, don't overfeed trying to "build bone". You risk joint problems and other issues. That being said, a lot of pups go through an ugly gangly stage, so that may be what you are seeing.

It is in the genes, I think. If it was a solid chunky puppy it wil come back, it is probably just growth phases or an ugly phase.

Don't panic yet. Let her grow, but don't rush her. If you liked her
as a young puppy, just give her time.

Re: Re: Oh Where, oh where has the bone substance gone?

OH NO THIS FORUM HAS FLEAS! I saw your post looking for name and all I see is this tiny dot. First thought a flea! lol Just had to share.

hehehe . . . . . ... . . . .. . . ...
.... . . .. . ... .
they are multiplying

Here is another thought on feeding. I do think it is possible to 'feed for bone'. Not more than was genetically preprogrammed into the dog, but keeping them too thin can lead to whispy dogs as adults. I know b/c I used to do it. I know "you can set yourself up for joint problems", but I would rather know what is there than pussy foot around with a dog to have it slide in as clean orthopedically and possbily have an underlying condition hidden from my knowledge base about the dog. If they play like a dog and eat like a dog and maintain a good body condition, then I feel more confident they are truly sound. This goes along the lines of the same thought process Dr. Smith talked about during her Potomac seminar. No Flames, not saying you should do it or that we are right, just telling how we manage our personal dogs and the thought process we put in behind it.

Re: Re: Oh Where, oh where has the bone substance gone?

Our Bella girl went through a "leggy" stage at 4 months- she looked funny. She is now 1 day away from turning 6 months and she's lookin' darn good ! If it's there, I wouldn't worry. My boy also went through the "uglies" and looked like a hound at 6 months(if you'd seen him, you'd think he was a Lab/Hound mix lol). He bulked up when he turned 1yr and then started to fill out. I think he's a purdy boy, but he's still an 80lb puppy lol.

Re: Re: Re: Oh Where, oh where has the bone substance gone?

My boy looked like a tube sock on stilts at about 8 months...