Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud dog on drugs?

My male gets very anxious whenever his bitches go into heat.

Has anyone ever given their male calming drugs from the vet for this time of anxiousness?

Re: Stud dog on drugs?

I would love to hear any ideas on this topic. Also, I have heard of giving your bitches chlorophyll tablets during this time to reduce her odor. Anyone had any success with this?

Re: Stud dog on drugs?

I just have them crated all near each other. As long as they can see the girl, they don't get upset. And it's great training for the show ring. I have 4 intact males at home right now, and I regularly have bitches in to breed. Doesn't seem to phase them much at all.

Re: Re: Stud dog on drugs?

I do the same as Nancy and have the same results, even with my Schipperke. My boys, all 5 of them, are cool, calm and not collected when girls are in season.

As long as they can see the girl, they don't get upset.

Don't I wish. That's unfortunately not the case in my house right now, despite the fact that he is crated next to her. I'm ready to smother him .

Right now I'm really regretting this project . Just a few more days...

I have used chlorophyll. You have to start at least a
couple of months before they go into heat. And you need to make sure you give her enough. It has worked for me in the past, when I can remember to start it early enough.

I have one boy that as long as he is in the same room she is crated he's not too bad. He has to be able to see her.

I had 3 in heat in July and those boys just about drove me crazy. I have a young one now that is finding out about it. The next time one goes in he'll be just as crazy as the older ones.
But, I'm getting the second one spayed next week, so for a while I'll only have one.

God, I hope I never have 3 in heat at the same time again.

Donna

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I would love to hear any ideas on this topic. Also, I have heard of giving your bitches chlorophyll tablets during this time to reduce her odor. Anyone had any success with this?

Re: Re: Re: Stud dog on drugs?

Oh that is toooooo funny!!

I have a boy I always want to smother when anyone is even remotely *thinking* of coming into season!!