Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
frozen semen X natural

I was told that if I breed my dam to a sire by frozen semen I'll get different results if I do it naturally..

any clues?

thank you in advance

Re: frozen semen X natural

Ok, so how would the results be different?? Spotted puppies?<~ remember only teasing here!!
My experience using fresh chilled, frozen and a natural breeding have all produced wonderful puppies. I would be interested in what the "different" results would be.

Re: Re: frozen semen X natural

Chilled there is no difference. Frozen I am hearing less puppys. Be interesting to hear some large litters from frozen.

I have done all 3. My surgical AI with frozen produced 8 beauties :-)

Re: Re: frozen semen X natural

what about importing those kits abroad?
there's a period which those kits can be maintained, after that... how do breeders do that? I mean if they want to get them overseas?

Timed and done correctly by an experienced repro vet you can have just as many puppies as fresh or chilled. You would need an excellent repro vet to help you decide how to inseminate your bitch, surgical implant, AI or transcervical. Also be diligent about your progesterone testing and timing, you must be right on target with frozen.

Given the smaller litter sizes some are experiencing with chilled you just might have a larger litter this way. If you feel the stud dog that you're considering is the right fit for your bitch then it's well worth the extra expenses. That is where the difference will be, in your wallet.

The Minitube 10 day appears to have excellent motility upon arrival thus allowing for longer "travel" times.

I know of a breeder with 12 pups surviving from a frozen semen breeding done au naturale. That means it was thawed and inseminated- nothing surgical was done. The same or better success is possible using the right factors all the way around going back to when the collection took place. How old the frozen semen is does'nt matter, it's the quality and how it was handled at that time as well as when your b^^ch is bred along with timing it just right.

Where is the semen being stored right now? Did anyone quote you the extra costs involved? Do you know how many straws you will get from the stud owner for this? Have the stud owner and repro vet well verse you in the different procedures available to you.

Re: Re: Re: frozen semen X natural

I MAY GET A LOT OF FLAMES HERE BUT I DO PREFER
A NATURAL BREEDING. NO ONE WILL DO IT ANYMORE.

SO YOU ONLY HAVE A TUBE TO PUT IN YOUR BITCH
FROM AFAR FROM A MALE THAT WAS AI'D.

IT IS GREAT THAT WE CAN BREED TO ANY DOG
ON THE PLANET. AND I HAVE. NO GOOD STUD
DOG OWNER WANTS THEIR MALE TO GET ANYTHING.
OR, MAYBE A BITCH THAT DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD
TEMPERAMENT AND IT IS JUST TOO MUCH WORK ON THE STUD DOG OWNERS PART. HOW DO WE DETERMINE THAT
WITH ALL THE LONG DISTANCE BREEDINGS?

FOR ME AND AFTER MANY YEARS OF BREEDING TO
BOTH DOGS THAT ARE CLOSE TO ME AND I CAN
ACTUALLY SEE THEM, AND TO DOGS I HAVE ONLY
SEEN THEIR OFFSPRING AND WORD OF MOUTH I STILL
PREFER A DOG THAT I HAVE SEEN BOTH IN THE
SHOW RING AND IN PERSON.

I BELIEVE WE CAN GET THE BEST OF THE BEST WITH
OUT LONG DISTANCE SHIPPING. BUT DO WE REALLY
KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THOSE GENES?
OR ARE WE SO WRAPPED UP IN FINDING THAT PERFECT
DOG THAT WE FORGET THAT DOGS STILL SHOULD BE
DOGS?

Re: Re: frozen semen X natural-DON'T GET IT

I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT HOW MANY
PUPPIES YOU GET! HAVE YOU HAD YOUR
HANDS ON THAT DOG? HAVE YOU SEEN
ANY OF THOSE GET IN THE U.S.?
AND HOW MANY? HOW ARE THEIR
TEMPREMENTS, CLEARANCES ETC. ETC.

I PREFER NATURAL BREEDINGS. IT IS
GOOD FOR BOTH THE DOG AND THE BITCH.

I KNOW FOR MYSELF, I WOULD PREFER
A NATURAL BREEDING?????

To the person yelling in caps about natural breedings under 2 different names.....we get it but that's not the point of the thread. What if the original poster is thinking of using frozen semen from a dog that is now dead or no longer available for natural breedings?

Yes, stop YELLING already...I have a headache

Yes, caps are yelling so please unlock the key.

"SO YOU ONLY HAVE A TUBE TO PUT IN YOUR BITCH
FROM AFAR FROM A MALE THAT WAS AI'D."

A bitch is AI'd, not a male (Artificially Inseminated.) The stud is Collected before an AI of a bitch can happen.

If you go to the larger specialities you should get to see most of the stud dogs you might want to use.

Sorry to also correct you but this is a word used very often in the breed.

"TEMPREMENTS"

The proper spelling is temperaments and I am not the spelling police, it is good to know the proper spelling of words that are used when discussing the Labrador.

Re: Re: Re: frozen semen X natural

6 and 8 puppies using frozen two different bitches and the 8 pups were inseminated vaginally on a 6 1/2 year old bitch.
Aloha,
jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Chilled there is no difference. Frozen I am hearing less puppys. Be interesting to hear some large litters from frozen.

Re: Re: Re: frozen semen X natural-DON'T GET IT

Sorry, I have to say it, DON'T write our your general messages in ALL CAPS. TOO HARD TO READ!!!

We had a litter of 16 with frozen semen. Same girl later had another litter of 15 with fresh chilled. If natural gets you more, I definately don't want to go that route! Seriously, it is all in the timing of the breeding I believe, whatever route you take.