Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How Many of you do Early Puppy Neuro Stimulation exercises????

The thread below got me thinking about this because I have noticed that since I started doing them with my litters the puppies seem to assimilate into their new homes without any trouble.They don't seem to mind getting toenails trimmed and most of the new owners report they are housebreaking quickly with a few that had NO accidents. We have found the puppies we keep are really easy going and don't seem to stress over the usual issues we would expect them too.
We do place a small crate in the X-pen at night for them to wander into at will around 5 weeks and then during the week before they leave put a few more in with short periods of time in the crate and then the lst few nights putting a few into the crates to sleep.
I did have one small litter that I didn't do them on and noticed a big difference in handling them to clip toenails, could be a fluke but the dam and sire were both very easy to work with and the puppies had the usual handling, but I still think it made a difference and won't ever repeat that same experiment..

Re: How Many of you do Early Puppy Neuro Stimulation exercises????

Tiffany, this is something I have done for about 10 years, every litter. Once I read the information on the benefits of early neurological stimulation, I was convinced. The puppies that get this are proven better problem-solvers; for instance, they are able to "think" their way through a maze at a very early age and respond more calmly to stressful situations their whole lives.
I have worked for veterinarians in San Diego County for over 20 years and I have been breeding Labradors for almost that long. I was struck with the sad, frightened personalities of the poorly bred, poorly socialized dogs that I saw come through the vet clinic and it impressed upon me the importance of early stimulation and socialization (this does not mean OVER-stimulation, causes psychological problems). I once saw a chocolate puppy that came from a situation where the puppies were in a pen and merely fed twice a day, receiving little socialization or human contact. This poor puppy was afraid of people, dogs, buildings, cars, weather, EVERYTHING.
Vets tell me they know the difference between puppy mill dogs and those that come from breeders that spend the extra time to do the early neuro stimulation and proper socialization.
I am a firm believer in this early neurological stimualation and make it a relaxing game I do with every puppy, and I enjoy it, and so do they!!

I was just curious as to exactly what type of neuro stimulation exercises you do?

I did it with one litter at the recommendation of a friend and it was the only litter that I have had fear problems with the puppies that continued with shyness into adulthood. Maybe coincidence. But I don't bother any more.

http://www.breedingbetterdogs.com/achiever.html

Here's a website that details how to do this. It is only done from the 3rd day of life to the 16th. It's not supposed to be done longer than that, and it's supposed to be done as instructed - 3-5 seconds per exercise - no longer.

I finally completed this with a litter - I've started before, but would miss a day or two. I think this litter is the most even-tempered, not one is scared to be laid on his/her back, bounce back from a real scare, etc... I'm sold!

Re: Re: How Many of you do Early Puppy Neuro Stimulation exercises????

I also use this system. I think it makes the puppies much more secure and solid. Not a shy one in the bunch and very bold, happy pups.

I am sold on it.

MK

I have done these exercises on every litter for 12 years. I call them the Bios. Mom gets a little nervous in the beginning especially if there is a squealer. Although there is mild stress for the puppies, I try to be very gentle, so that they learn that being held in weird positions is ok. The exercises are combined with full body rubs and kisses at the end.

These are also great for individually checking each puppy every day.

I have only had one puppy that I kept who had any long term problem with car sickness. I think that these exercises make a difference especially for that. Also, every puppy I have enjoys being on his back since he has experienced this from day 3.

I tried this with my July litter. All the pups ended up being pretty outgoing (except the one I kept, wouldn't you know it - but she's not shy). They too weren't afraid of people, noises, sudden movements, etc. All their new families were very pleased with them.

I have heard of this quite a while ago and would love to try it, but also heard that if you overdo it you can cause neurological problems in the puppies. I believe at a Carmen Battaglia seminar I attended, who is a big supporter of this system, he said they could become aggressive. Since my puppies are handled and cuddled quite often throughout the day from birth anyway, it makes me hesitant to try this as I do not want to overdo it and cause any problems. Do those of you who do this also handle your puppies at other times during the day than when doing these exercises?

Re: Re: How Many of you do Early Puppy Neuro Stimulation exercises????

I use the method from Carmen Battaglia. I also spend the rest of the time playing with the puppies numerous times a day, and each puppy gets their own individual time as well. It has been about 7 years since I tried it on one of the litters and I wish I had known about it sooner. And of course the one who notices the difference the most is DH and he wishes I'd known about it earlier too!!! Overall the puppies just don't seem to have the negative reactions to stressors, and they have also said it helps them to have a stronger immune system.I'm all for that.
With horses if you go over them at birth with curry combs, brushes, hoof picks, tap on their hooves, run the clippers on their body, throw a towel on their back, slide it around they call it imprinting, I did it with my foal over 20 years ago and he was the easiest horse to train. I know because his mother tried to kill me the first time I tried to use the clippers on her, it did take time but eventually I could sit on the floor and trim her fetlocks(that was how well I could trust her and she me) but It took a really long time to get to that point and with Dirk I just turned them on and clipped away, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
It really is different then just the regular handling you do on a daily basis, that is the frosting, this part is the cake.

Re: Re: Re: How Many of you do Early Puppy Neuro Stimulation exercises????

I agreee ... I have been using this for all my litters for the past 6 years. They seem to be a day or 2 earlier on everything. Very stable puppies, very quick learners. Puppy owners keep telling me how quick they are to house break. I do it from about day 3 until their eyes start opening. I still do all of the other things .. plenty of handling/loving. Different surfaces. Different toys. I leave my whelping box in the pen without the top boards. That gives them something to climb over and on .... kind of like they are on a mini dog walk. Later I put large pvc fittings ... the size for sewer pipes. the T fittings and elbows.... they are like mini tunnels ... huge hit. Every puppy wants to go thru them. The bottom line is stimulating their minds to learn and promoting their ability to deal with new and different things from a very young age. I find it makes a huge difference.

I have used the Battaglia method of neuro stimulation on my past two litters. I find that the puppies are very stable and adaptable to their new homes. I am very careful when doing the exercises so as not to over stimulate them. I usually do them in the evening...with the lights very low...sitting in or very close to the box....moving my hands very slowly...not making a sound !!

Let me add that my litter also had tons of socialization but before I tried this I never had a dog that I could teach to sit, down, stay and come in less than a week. Could be a coincidence, I know, and dogs like people learn at different rates, but it gives me something to think about.