Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finding Repro Vet

I have recently moved and have to find new vets. I have a girl due to whelp soon so would like to find a repro vet I can trust for emergencies. There are a couple of repro vets that do very good work but are not on call, so if I were to need a c-section or other care outside of office hours, I would have to take my chances at the emergency vet which is a 45 minute drive away.

My second choice is a small local breeder vet who will be available for emergencies outside of hours. Unfortunately, I have heard some stories about her from reliable resources, such as infections, etc.

I can't seem to make up my mind...would you all go for the more experienced vet, knowing there is no chance of emergency care, or the less experienced vet, knowing she is at least there for you when it counts

Re: Finding Repro Vet

Can you say where you are and perhaps people in your area can help you directly???

That's a tough one. My repro doesn't have emergency hours either. But my emergency clinic isn't more than 30 minutes away, acutally there are 2 that I could choose from. I would probably stay away from the vet that doesn't have the good rep just because.

Misc information here....I have found that active membership in either a local all breed kennel club or a breed specific kennel club is a valuable source of information when you move. Plugging into that network will give you resources and references that are wonderfully helpful. I would have liked to have helped more specifically but you did not let us know where you are. Good Luck