Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Has anyone else dealt with KC in 3 week old pups?

If so, What was given (if anything) and how was the outcome?

I am worried sick about them and vet says do nothing but keep them warm.

We picked up KC at a specialty a few weeks ago and 2 of our dogs ended up with it.

The mother of this litter never was affected but it's here, so she must have carried into her pups.

Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Yes, I have had it. I had a girl come home with it too about 4 years ago and a litter that was only 2/3 weeks of age came down with it. My vet said the same, do nothing, keep warm, let it take it's course. I was in a total panic. They sounded horrible but it did pass. I think if I had this happen all over again with a litter this age I would at least ask my vet about a tiny bit of cough medicine that was safe for them. Not sure if that's good or not but I would ask. Good Luck. I really feel your pain.

Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Years ago I had it with a litter of 3 week olds. My vet put them on amoxil as a pneumonia preventative.

All survived and were ok, were even able to nurse enough, I think I started them on gruel a little early, just to help get enough in them without relying on too much sucking while trying to breath through their congested little nasal passages. Vet recommends lots of air circulation as virus' thrive in poor air circulation and especially if it's too hot.

Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

I once had kennel cough hit my home just a few days before one of my girls whelped. The mother had kennel cough when the pups were born and the vet said not to worry. Turns out none of the pups ever seemed to be effected by it, and of course it just ran it's course with the older dogs.

You should be okay:)

Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Thanks but this litter is affected already unfortunately

They seem okay, but are coughing and congested of course. Otherwise normal size, weight and nursing.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I once had kennel cough hit my home just a few days before one of my girls whelped. The mother had kennel cough when the pups were born and the vet said not to worry. Turns out none of the pups ever seemed to be effected by it, and of course it just ran it's course with the older dogs.

You should be okay

Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

We had the same situation. My vet said that the KC is harmless, but that the pups could develop pneumonia and that would be serious. He put the pups on Amoxi drops to stay on the safe side.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Same here, they developed it at about 9 days of age. We had several that developed a secondary infection in their sinus cavities. All 11 puppies survived but the last puppy did not clear completely up until he was 7 weeks old.
I certainly would have them on antibiotics because the fear is getting a secondary infection in their lungs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

If you put some Vicks Vapo rub in their nose it helps relieve the coughing and it won't hurt them.
I had a 3 week old litter get a very bad reaction to the inter-nasal vaccine.

I was told to do the vaccination by the co-owner. Never again!

I hope it doesn't last long.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Just thinking about your babies this morning and wondering how things are.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Hello - I hope the puppies are doing well. I had this last year. At first it seemed that it was "run of the mill" KC. However, the entire litter went downhill with a secondary infection. We went to Amoxy drops and things cleared up. I was really afraid and wish we started the antibiotics sooner. ALL survived and my pick just singled out her AKC points at 11 months!! Yeah - keep us posted!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Babies seem okay this morning, thanks for thinking of us.
I am only hearing a cough occasionally. Otherwise I'd be really freaking out

Christian, thank for the advice. I am going to ask for amoxy drops to be on the safe side.
Congrats on your points also! Good luck with the majors!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Yes, the Amoxi drops is a very good idea. We've had 2 different litters out of my one girl catch a nasty cold bug when they were 12 days old. I put them all on Amoxi drops both times as a PREVENTATIVE. My vets tell me that whenever small puppies and senior dogs get kennel cough or respiratory colds, many times it will lead to secondary (bacterial) infection in the lungs so for this reason, Antibiotics is a good idea for both age groups.

For my small puppies with colds, I set up a tent and use a humidifier that has the medicine cup in it (vicks inhalent)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

Sorry, but am I the only one that cringes at the use of antibiotics as a preventative??? I would want to be very certain that they were necessary before destroying the flora in very young puppie's digestive tracts and kennel cough should be self limiting in most cases.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

I agree with this on one hand, but one the other hand, it could be hard to tell when it's actually necessary because of a secondary infection.
My worry would be how does one tell between a "normal" cough and pneumonia??
Could be too late by the time we know the difference.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

I had a three wk old litter with kennel cough as well. My vet did put pups on an anti biotic for secondary infections which the pups did get. Their lungs filled up and we had to rest them on our chest to give them some relief for breathing. It was very scary . I could have lost a couple from this so now I think twice when I have a pregnant bitch or even puppies at home as to whether I go to shows or not.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

No one is saying people can't HAVE kids, just that they should be kept in appropriate places and ringside at dog shows is not one of them!

Just for clarification, I am not speaking of kids say 6 years old and up, I am speaking of toddlers and babies!

This is a big discourtesy that people with kids are imposing on the people exhibting, the ones that have paid to enter our dogs in classes without distractions.

It's kind of like when you are trying to enjoy a nice dinner out and have to listen to a screaming kid in the next booth

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried

sorry, above post doesn't belong here

reposted above!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kennel Cough in 3 week old litter??? Worried!!

I hate taking antibiotics myself or giving meds to my dogs if I can at all help it. When I have given puppies anitibiotics due to a respiratory bug, I always give them a little probios a couple times a day until they go to their new homes. The probios helps the digestive tract when you worm puppies to.