Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
placing a dog with known problem

I have a 2yo diagnosed with FCP Grade II in one elbow and GR I in other elbow. GR II elbow does cause limping and definately dog is on exercise restrictions. He is a beloved pet, but was to be part of a breeding program. Dog is happy, playful, great in basic obedience, rips and runs with only minor limp after heavy romps. OFA Good, no other health problems. How can I place this dog withhout knowing full ramifications in future? Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Dog takes Dausequin 1 tab daily.

Thanks for any input.

Re: placing a dog with known problem

You have to be straight up with any potential home....The home has to know his limitations and be equipped to pay for medical care should the dog become more lame in the futute. On a bright note, I have had my first Lab 14 years ago with such a condition and failed hips that lived a long, happy life with lots of swimming......If the potential home wants an older dog with such a condition everything must be out in the open and I would screen people very well......

An orthopedic nurse with 20 acres and a pool just got an older Lab like this from one of my clients and is thrilled. I also would not charge a penny because finding a loving home is more important than anything else for such a dog.......

Sad situtation, I'm sorry I have no experience to help you out. I hope others will post to give you the support you need right now.

As long as you are upfront and honest with potential families, you are doing the right thing. I have placed dogs with mild to moderate HD, some families ran the other way when they heard, and others said no problem. Even years later all these dogs, to my knowlege, are still doing well and do not have problems related to their HD. I did advise the families, however, to keep them on a joint supplements.

If the dog is otherwise healthy, and only has occasional limping when the joint is overworked, I would assume that the dog will probably stay that way for a little while at least, if not longer. However, when the familie comes to see the dog, I would bring it up and tell them exactly what the vet told you in terms of its prognosis down the road.

Because things like this can scare off potential families if it's the first thing they learn about a dog, I generally tell them all the good points first and then when they come to see it in person and get to see how the dog interacts and behaves physically, I tell them, now although this dog is otherwise in excellent health and physical shape, its has been diagnosed with (whatever condition) and this is what the vet says about the long term quality of life for the dog. Then they either decide it's not worth it, or they decide to take it home and give it a chance.

Good luck!

There are many good hearted families who would love to adopt a wonderful pet even though the dog has a problem. However, they need to know all the details and should obviously be getting the dog for free.

GREAT ADVICE Candyheart

If ppl buy a pup it can end up with a joint issue od some sort? Sad but true?

So if you are open and honest ie "what you see is what you get" then it should be possible to find a great home!!

good luck

Re: Re: placing a dog with known problem

There are many great homes out there for pups that will not be doing active things. Lots want a quite laid back dog. Look for a less active family. Tell them the problem and why you want the dog to have a wonderful life with a family. We all have had to place pups with some little problem that made them not for our breeding programs or show for one reason or the other. If you have not, you will ! People are very willing to take a chance on a great dog. And like someone else said I purchased one years ago that was bad with hips and elbows. That dog had a great life here for over 12 years. So it is not the worst thing.