Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Christmas pups

I have a question. OK a week or so ago someone started a post about how bad it was to have Christmas pups. Ok I understand the reasoning, yet on the other forum some of the people saying how bad it was have pups for Christmas just whelped or are whelping pups, timing just perfect for Christmas. Anyone find this amusing other than me? Gotta love the double standard. From the way I see it it means depends on who you are when it comes to Christmas pups. Some breeders can and others not capable. I am in no way trying to start trouble just an observation.

JMO

Re: Christmas pups

I have let puppies go a few days before Christmas if I feel comfortable with the family situation and know their plans, especially if they are staying home. There have been some that I won't let go until after Christmas. It depends on the family.

I have never had a problem with letting them go a few days before Christmas. It gives the new pup a chance to adjust and a new pup can add to the fun on Christmas day. JMHO

Re: Re: Christmas pups

Didn't we already beat this topic to death? A good home is a good home any time of year. If your girls best time to whelp is X-mas, why should it matter if you are doing your job screening your families?
Who knows the particular situations others whelp under...last breedings, availability of a great stud, scheduling conflicts... If your best interests are always for your dogs and pups why do you need hard fast rules?
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Christmas pups

I believe this new thread is not about if letting pups go around the holidays is right or wrong, but rather how different forums come to different conclusions on the topic. That's all. Someone was just making a note of it, and perhaps thought it was either odd or ironic.

Oh but it does sound as if you are trying to start something here Shame on you if you had read the entire thread about Christmas puppies you would have known that some of us have had waiting lists for long before the breedings took place so they are NOT pups being sold for Christmas! I have a litter due in 2 1/2 weeks and have had people waiting for almost a year for a litter from me. I also have another litter that was a oops litter because the co owner didn't keep the male away from her or she did a silent in the beginning so go mind your own business and stop trying to stir the pot!
Aloha,
jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have a question. OK a week or so ago someone started a post about how bad it was to have Christmas pups. Ok I understand the reasoning, yet on the other forum some of the people saying how bad it was have pups for Christmas just whelped or are whelping pups, timing just perfect for Christmas. Anyone find this amusing other than me? Gotta love the double standard. From the way I see it it means depends on who you are when it comes to Christmas pups. Some breeders can and others not capable. I am in no way trying to start trouble just an observation.

JMO

Re: Re: Christmas pups, sick of the double set of rules!

I personaly could care less who has pups when! The point I was making is people say oh so terrible yet are doing it themselves! The two sided lab breeders! If I do it its terrible, you do good for you! (NOT you specifically Jackie) Just people jumped on us breeding on prelimbs, somebody just had a litter with a 5 year old bith prelimbed at 22 months, all were good for you, such a group of back stabbing liars, it simply amazes me, and NOBODY but me notices these things?

HELLO is there anybody in there?

Real topic or just veiled nastiness?

I don't understand the double set of rules issue. You make your own rules and live with your own choices. Make the best ones you can regardless of what others are doing.
Sure there are people out there who will criticize, but trust me, they will criticize no matter how many "rules" you abide by so why lose sleep over who does what or what people think YOU should do?

No offense, but what good does it do anyone to try make vague accusations about such a difficult to assess situation? Unless of course you know a bit about the person you are talking of, and in that case the comments should be directed at the person in question (if it concerns you) and not aired on here as some kind of personal gripe.

I wont post again on this, because this is one of those threads that starts out one way and quickly veers into some kind of personal weirdness.
Mind your own rules, be happy for all the healthy pups being born and you will feel better overall
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Christmas pups, sick of the double set of rules!

Well I don't breed on prelims ever first of all and I was not one that said it was bad to have puppies at Christmas time if the motives were for the right reasons. What I don't like is people that breed their dogs just to sell Christmas puppies, when I breed a litter it is always with the intent to keep something for myself and most times i'll keep two!
Aloha,
jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I personaly could care less who has pups when! The point I was making is people say oh so terrible yet are doing it themselves! The two sided lab breeders! If I do it its terrible, you do good for you! (NOT you specifically Jackie) Just people jumped on us breeding on prelimbs, somebody just had a litter with a 5 year old bith prelimbed at 22 months, all were good for you, such a group of back stabbing liars, it simply amazes me, and NOBODY but me notices these things?

HELLO is there anybody in there?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Christmas pups, sick of the double set of rules!

Jackie I said it wasn't directed at you! I am sorry if you missed that. I do have problems with eveyone saying how bad something is and then doing it, every body says oh so good for them! I also have problems with with newbies who have been taken by breeders and THINK they are authorities! they have posted twice on this , some day they will get theirs! OPPS they already did once!

JMO

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having puppies at Christmastime. YOu breed when your bitch comes in heat. Christmas has nothing to do with it. You just don't sell them 'til after the holiday. Common sense.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Christmas pups, sick of the double set of rules!

Um, I'm just curious, "Curious", how you know that newbies posted here "twice" and how you know what they "got"????

Care to clarify???

I agree, you breed with the heats, my point is don't post how terrible it is then do it, can anyone just read and understand? As for the newbie they new who I was talking about. As for clarify? please like anyone understands anything I have posted 3-4 times and only one person actually read it. So clarify?

LOL

there is a patch that you can put on your bitch so you can decide when they come into heat. I spoke to one vet who was using it on client's bitches so they could plan Christmas puppies. Yikes!

I just had a litter, but having a litter that will be old enough to go home for Christmas does not mean you will send them home at Christmas time.

Dian

Most everybody knows what "horse blinders" are. They are to keep the horse from looking to the side ...right. Well thats what we have decided to do. There are too many opinions and different ways of doing things. Do what you think is right. Read forums and such to enhance and learn.

I guess that was a much more to the point way of saying what I was trying to get across.
If you are doing what you feel best for your pups and dogs no worries right?

Annie

A litter comes, when a litter comes ! But that does not mean that I will send a pup home the week of Christmas when it is so busy in most peoples lifes. The pup deserves more. Give the person a picture of the pup. Buy crates, leads, etc. and wrap. Someone must have lots of bitches to be able to just breed Christmas pups ? Interesting.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Christmas pups

I sometimes wonder,(really most of the time) why I even bother joining a forum. Like many people have said about this thread, Who cares what or how someoneone handles their breeding program. Better watch out, it will be a sin to let pups go at Easter,might get run over by the Bunnie, or gee Thanksgiving, hate to even think about that. My motto is do your own thing and mind your own business.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Christmas pups

Wow, before the grammer police get me, mis-spelled Bunny.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Christmas pups

Lol, or should I say, "Laughing out loud."