Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with badly constipated puppies

I have had in the past puppies that got constipated from ingesting the hair from the mother dog and have always used laxatone to get things going but with these pups who are 10 days old and are only still about a pound and a half it doesn't seem to be working.
The stools are like hard logs that will crumble and i've had to give them several anemia's and just can't believe what is coming out, stomach's are distended. Any advice here on what else I can do? They are nursing on the mother so I don't understand it at all... I did try and bottle them last night with a 3 parts water to one part goats milk mixture but they were still impacted this morning and I had to give them another anema to get the poop out. It is not that the mother isn't cleaning them either, she is a lick freak that keeps them very clean and they do pass the stools but they are like I said very hard and I don't think all is coming out because of the distended stomach's

Any help is much appreciated, I am going to the store to buy mineral and castor oil this morning but don't know how much to give of that.
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Help with badly constipated puppies

How about giving the mother about 1 tbsp of vegetable oil on her food. If 1 tbsp doesn't work, increase it. That will go to the pups and should loosen them up.

I'd be afraid of the castor oil giving them a belly ache.

Good luck

Jackie...I would also try plain organic yogurt about 1 TBS per puppy to get their own stomach/colon flora and fauna correct. Good Luck

Re: Re: Help with badly constipated puppies

When you say "organic yogurt"... is this different then something such as Dannon Plain Yogurt???

Hi Jackie

We had this happen when our pups were 7 days old. Our repro vet had us give 2 1/2 cc of pedialyte no more than every 3 hrs; laxatone 1/2 cc once a day or 2 times maximum. For the first day - have Mom go in with pups for 1 hour and out for 2 hours - for the 24 hour period only. I also stimulated the pups with a warm facecloth, even though Mom was cleaning. It took some of them 1 day to poop and two days to become more regular.

Get cat hair-ball stuff (smells like molassas). Give a little blob about the size of a pea to the puppies.

In response to SusanMLL yes Dannon works, I just would never intentionally give a dog the "wannabee" other yogurts with all the additives. And yes I agree with Mel it can also be a hydration issue which causes constipation and the pedialyte would help. While most hairball medicine for cats is basically oils I personally would not use it in this situation.

Re: Re: Re: Help with badly constipated puppies

For instant help, take a knife & shave off a very tiny sliver of a mild soap, like Ivory, & use it like a suppository. After you insert it into the rectum, let it sit in there a couple of minutes, then stimulate them like mama does with a soft wet tissue.
It works like a charm.

What did the vet say?

Thank you all for your help. To the person that asked what the vet said, guess what? He said nothing as my regular vet wasn't there but i'll talk to the regular guy tommorrow morn.
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Re: Re: Help with badly constipated puppies

The best yogurt is Stonyfield Farms--better bacteria in it if you can get it. You could also give them pedialyte by mouth or in severe cases you could give them subcutaneous fluids. The other supplements like Fast Trak may also help--just a tiny bit on their tongues. Perhaps your bitches milk is too rich.

Never had this happen. I am curious, for future refence as to how this turns out. Let us know Jackie.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help with badly constipated puppies

Thank you for the suggestion, I think Safeway here sells the stonyfield farms yogurt so will so see if they have it, I did get the dannon yesterday. How would I make her milk less rich? Gave them two doses of the yogurt yesterday and still last night the stools were hard :{
Aloha
jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The best yogurt is Stonyfield Farms--better bacteria in it if you can get it. You could also give them pedialyte by mouth or in severe cases you could give them subcutaneous fluids. The other supplements like Fast Trak may also help--just a tiny bit on their tongues. Perhaps your bitches milk is too rich.

I don't know that there is a way to make dam's milk less rich. That is what we suspected and why we started on the pedialyte. As their muscles got stronger, they were able to eliminate better. I continued with the warm facecloth stimulation whenever I could.