Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Bait" - What do you use ?

We'll be getting ready for our first show with Bella(so excited lol) and have been wondering what bait to use. We don't want to use any treat we give at home, as it should be "extra special" and something only given during shows. When we went to our last show, to watch, we seen some bait that looked as if it was homemade(booth had it for sale). Do any of you make your own ? if not, what have/do you use ? I'm just curious as to what could be a possible "yay" for our girl.

Re: "Bait" - What do you use ?

I use boiled and dried liver with garlic powder or nuked chicken breast. Some of my kids I can fool with a piece of dog food. LOL

Re: Re: "Bait" - What do you use ?

I use buffalo jerky (all natural and organic) it is great stuff and doesn't get mushy and smellls good and the dogs love it! I only use it for the dog shows.
Aloha,
jackie

Depends on the dog really. I find that each dog has their favs. Amoung those I use are liver and chicken bits, although I do have a couple dogs that prefer a ball or sqeeky over food bait.

They sell "Great Bait" at shows, and it seems to be really popular. Liver is really popular too.

I just tried the microwaved hotdogs for bait this weekend. I used Turkey dogs, sliced into quarters lenthwise, and then sliced really thin, mirowave for 3, 4, 5(?) minutes, until it is dryed out and crispy. I have never tried it before, and my girls really liked it! It is dry and doesn't make a mess in your pocket either.

String cheese...my guys will do ANYTHING for string cheese....

Sue

I have used Great Bait, the microwaved weenies, and string cheese - all with success. This weekend I used cold uncooked hot dogs and they worked just fine too. I tried the baked liver with garlic - the dogs loved it but I thought it was just too gross!

Natural Balance rolls - it's dry for in the pocket or under the armband. The dogs are totally perked for it!

Liver Bars

I puree the liver in the blender 2-3# add a little water makes it easier
2 or 3 eggs
some olive oil
Mrs Dash seasoning
then add flour( I use organic which you can buy at the supermarkets now) I like rice and oat flour add till it is the consistency of say biscuit dough
spread out on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350* for about 35-45 minutes. I cut the bars and then cool them , freeze what ever I have left over and they don't crumble and aren't goopy like baked liver. The dogs and your competitions dogs will like them too!
DO NOT LEAVE them on counter with hubby around who says' "Oh great BROWNIES" while you are on the phone and before you can say "They aren't brownies" he's taken a bite!!!!!

(I was forced to make human brownies the next weekend, I froze the left overs of those too, hope DH can pick the right bag out of the freezer....

Well, left over brownies would be better than sending DH to the freezer to retrieve the sunday dinner chicken and have him come out with a fully feathered duck and a horrified look on his face!

I use buffalo jerky, but I also try to have more than one bait with me at the show, so when they start to fade - I can switch the bait. I've used hot dog, leftover steak, and for the sensitive stomach I bring Perdue chicken cuts (original flavor - they are precooked) and come in a plastic pouch.

I mix it up so I don't use the same bait all the time. Beef Jerky, Liver, Hot dog bites, String cheese, and a favorite which I don't mind eating or cheeking is Dried fruit. My dogs Love Dried Papaya and so do I.

Re: Re: Re: "Bait" - What do you use ?

Wow, thank you so much for all the replys. I'll make a list and see what she likes. "Mixing it up" sounds like a great idea, we'll have to try that. Thanks for all the suggestions, oh and Bella pretty much likes anything. She does great with hot dog bits, but we want something special to add, that she'll only get during shows. Thanks again,

Boiled beef heart is also great, and it doesn't cause the "runs" that excessive liver use can.

I get a whole beef heart from a nearby grocery store, boil it in a soup pot with lots of garlic salt. Slice it into thin (1/2-inch thick) slabs and bake in the oven at 200 degrees to dry it out a bit. Use a kitchen scissors to cut into small, bait-size bits. Freeze what you don't need immediately.

The pooches love it! YUM! And it doesn't taste half bad if you stick it into YOUR mouth, either!!!!!

I mainly use liver I dehydrate myself. I tried Tim Bits once. Big mistake She loves them and was just beside herself, wouldn't listen, wouldn't stand still, leeping and jumping around. We were placed at the end of the line, I'm sure due to her bad behaviour.