Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sweeps

I know about regular classes but have not entered a sweepstake. Are points awarded for sweeps or are they just for fun? I did not find any info regarding points and sweeps on the AKC site. TIA.

Re: Sweeps

No Points for sweeps but they are sure nice wins if you can get one!

They are just fun and part of the entry fees go toward the prizes, so if you win you get some money!

Thanks. I kind of thought so.

Re: Re: Sweeps

Why are the wins so special in sweeps?
Just trying to learn!

Sweeps are rare at all-breed shows, and are usually all-breed sweeps (you compete against other breeds). Sweeps are usually at Specialties and so it is usually really quality puppy or veteran labrador competition. Also they are mostly judged by a labrador breeder judge so a win is a really nice acknowledgement of your dog.

Replying to:
Why are the wins so special in sweeps?

Let me give you my husbands definition of sweeps - "Sweepstakes are the only place that dog competition pays you in anything other than that silly colored ribbon you seem to want to collect 1000's of!! Now did you win enough to take us to lunch?" Fortunately he says it with a grin!!

Also, professional handlers are only permitted to handle their own dogs in sweeps, so you typically get more owner/breeder handled dogs in sweeps unless the breeder has put a handler on the papers.

Is that true?? I hadn't realized that!
That's very good then!

Did I misunderstand the last question as to who can handle a dog in sweeps. At Mid Jersey, handlers were showing dogs in sweeps and they didn't own or co-own with the owners. ???????

It is at our Specialty although I can't say that it actually happens everywhere.

Unless otherwise specified in the premium the dogs in sweepstakes can be handled by anyone.

Different clubs have different rules -- unless there is a specific rule forbidding it, professional handlers OR ANYONE ELSE can handle in sweeps.