Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog Fancy Magazine Ad

Did anyone get this email? I am wondering if its legit?? I have no clue how to research to find out other then the call, and of course they wont tell me "sure we are a scam"

Hello!

I'm Dominic from Dog Fancy magazine and I wanted to send you a quick email to let you know that we are featuring the LABRADOR RETRIEVER on the front cover of Dog Fancy magazine, the #1 dog related magazine in the world. It has been around for about 36 years now and has a readership of over 500,000 each month. This is something that we only get to do every 5-6 years.

We're looking for breeders of the Labrador Retriever to participate in this issue so that when our readers see the breed on the front cover, they'll be able to turn to the back of the magazine and have reputable breeders to turn to. This is the best time to shine! Your breed will be on the front cover and those who might be interested will want to not only find out where they can get one, but also call around to find out more about the breed. Having good breeders in our magazine on a consistent basis is key when it comes to properly educating the public about particular breeds…and even just dogs in general.

Each issue, Dog Fancy features 3 different breeds. We are currently working on our February issue of Dog Fancy which will be featuring the Labrador Retriever in the main profile section of the magazine. What this means is that it will be on the front cover and it will have a 3-4 page spread with info and pictures about the breed. This is something that we only get to do every 5-6 years so it will be a while before we profile them again.

Our deadline for this issue is November 11th. If you want to be a part of this issue and have your name in your breed's issue, this is the issue that you do not want to miss out on. Our readers will pick up this issue and even if they're not ready to buy right now, they'll keep it as a breeder reference for when they are ready.

Remember, the longer you wait, the less space we'll have and the more chance you'll miss out on the issue that will have your breed on the front cover. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

My contact information is below so give me a call as soon as you can to get your listing in!!

Best regards,

Dominic Melanson
Classified Sales Rep
Dog World/Dogs for Kids/Dog Fancy
Bowtie Inc.
(800) 546-7730 ext. 4105
dmelanson@bowtieinc.com

Re: Dog Fancy Magazine Ad

Yep I got it, I deleted it. May or may not be real but I deleted it anyway.

It probably isn't a scam, but let me tell you from experience, that once they get their foot in the door, they won't leave you alone. I had to get really harsh with them to finally get rid of them.

I spent several hundred dollars with them and only sold 1 pup through their ad. After they suck you in, then Dog World comes knocking. JMHO

Re: Re: Dog Fancy Magazine Ad

Not a magazine I want to be in. It really has ads for the puppy mills and other thing most of us are not into.

Yes I got it too, and deleted it. I don't find it necessary to advertise in these types of publications.

In addition to this email this morning, I also got one from a writer from Just Labs magazines wanting imput from breeders on how they raise and socialize their puppies. Sounds like this will be an interesting and educational article on why to buy from a reputable breeder and perhaps a chance to educate the public on why not to buy from kennels who have multiple litters at once.

If anyone is interested in contributing to this article please email me privately and I will forward that email to you.

Dianne

Dianne, are you going to do the Just Labs one? I get that magazine although I find it less informative now that I am no longer just a pet owner. I think that magazine would definately benefit from input from great breeders and reach the proper target audience that we need to educate!

Doubt it's a scam as they do send simular emails to breeders. Even though it's probably not a scam, I still wouldn't bother advertizing with them. It's expensive, not nessacary, and they won't ever leave you alone again.

My suggestion is to delete it.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I not only received the e-mail for the ad in the Lab magazine, they also tried to call me (caller ID), just a few minutes ago. I haven't run an ad in over three years and they just won't take no for an answer.

Re: Re: Re: Dog Fancy Magazine Ad

I get emails all of the time and phone calls as well. I just got a phone call today but let the answering service pick it up and deleted it.
I have asked them not to call me but they continue to do so.
d

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Fancy Magazine Ad

Hi Breeders,

I work with Dom here at Dog Fancy/Bowtie Inc. and we are not a scam. We only profile each breed once every 3-5 years and this is America's favorite breed, as you know. The February issue will be in the hands of over 600,000 dog lovers and if you did not know Dog Fancy is the largest most read dog magazine in the world, hands down. The magazine is put together by people who truly care about the health and wellness of dogs. Apologies if we have ever presented a different perception.

We have over 75,000 international subscribers, and we also have a website at http://www.dogchannel.com

I understand the concern for puppy mills and that is why we ask the right questions. If you know of any puppy mills in our magazine email us. We take these accusations very seriously. Also we do not allow mixed breeds, or designer breeds. We have had mixed breeds stories and contests in the past, but not anymore. It is now a company policy, effective July 2007.

Dom and I also represent Dog World and Dogs for Kids.

If you have any questions or would like to talk about advertising in any upcoming issues or any of the 3 magazines call me (800) 546-7730 ext. 4143.

I read this forum and really appreciate all I've learned from some very knowledgable breeders.

Best regards,
Tom

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Fancy Magazine Ad

Tell them to put you on their "do not call list" and that should do the trick.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Fancy Magazine Ad

I have asked them not to call me anymore but they keep calling. As a matter of fact, I just went to the store tonight,checked my cell messages, low and behold, Tom even called my cell phone and left a message about Dog Fancy.
I just may call you back, Tom and ask again to please stop contacting me.
BTW, My cell # is on my home answering service in case anyone has to get ahold of me for emergenies.
Don't think this was an emergancy!!
d.

I have worked with Dog Fancy and Dogs for Kids (Bowtie) in the past for a Labrador related matter. I can tell you that they were nothing less than professional and not one question crossed the line.

My dealings with Bowtie were not at all similar to what was emailed by Dominic and had nothing to do with advertising but were instead, personal in nature because of a particular dog that I have. My experience was a good one and I really think that these folks deserve the benefit of the doubt in this case. That's JMO though.

If anyone has any questions about my dealings with Bowtie please feel free to email me privately. These folks are not a scam.

Aloha,
Kim

Hello breeders,

Ok, so many of you received the email I sent out yesterday. I have to say that I completely agree with everyone who says that the people here typically hound people. And yes, Dog World normally comes a-knocking sooner or later (I honestly think its the better of the two magazines).

Truth is, we have many people working on these magazines and sometimes it's hard to keep track of who has been contacted and who has not... especially if they are not in our system and we're not able to put "Do Not Call" notes in there.

Here's my suggestion: if you DO get another call from someone here, ask them to be your "sole contact". For us, these means that only ONE person will call you. You won't get hounded, bugged, called daily (unless the rep has nothing better to do really

And in terms of the puppy mill advertising, unfortunately, it's something that can never really be COMPLETELY avoided although, as Tom mentioned, we do try to weed out the worst and find the best by asking many questions. That's why when we profile a breed, that breed's community really KNOWS about the issue. We're just trying to give responsible breeders a chance to put their name in their breed's issue. Our readers and advertisers help us on a daily basis by calling in and letting us know who the puppy-millers are. Of course, we still have to check up on all of it.

So, my suggestion is to either request only one person, or, if you do not want to be called at all, the only way we can assure that it won't happen is if you're in our system so we can put those notes in. Sure, you might think that's just a technique of ours but honestly, how can we know who has been called and who hasnt if all we have to go off of is a website rather than the notes in our system.

Thank you for the info provided by this forum. I never really know what's going on in the breeder community so this is a great help. IF you have any questions regarding this, feel free to contact me. I'm not like one of them. I'm not pushy, overbearing...or intrusive. Tom provided the phone number, and my ext is 4105.

Oh yes. And our website (for research...i know that was a concern) is www.DogChannel.com.

Re: Re: Dog Fancy Magazine Ad - Dominic full contact info is needed why?

Dominic,

When your organizatin calls someone who does not want to be called again, and assuming you know what number you are calling when you do it, why would you need all their contact information? You really just need to know the person at that phone number does not really want another phone call ever again. Once you put the PHONE NUMBER in your system under the "never call again category", why would any more information be needed beyond that?

Re: Re: Re: Dog Fancy Magazine Ad - Dominic full contact info is needed why?

Yeah, you would think so...

Being in the position that I'm in (meaning so low on the totem pole), they won't let us just put a phone number in and leave it at that (there's not a special category for "do not call" either). They have this rule that the addresses, phone numbers, emails...etc all need to be there to start an account. Basics are address, name and number. They really don't have another list that we can compare phone numbers to...simply our system. I have my own Access database though that I've designed to help ME filter out those who i've called and those I have not called.

However, once an account is put in, we're able to set the account on DNC (or Do Not Call). We (the reps) do not have access to add or delete any of this infomation. It is done by another person in our main office. So we call someone off the website and if they tell us not to call them, we're left in the dust because there is nothing we can do. Do you see our dilema?

It get frustrating honestly, having people yell at us that they don't want us to call and not being able to do anything about it. We want to respect them and their wishes but I don't want to tell them that they have to have an account because that's another earful.

And in regards to how the magazines have changed, I never really knew how the mags were before this company bought them. I've heard stories about their decline and after speaking with so many breeders over the past years, I completely understand the seriousness of the... well...dog world. I have learned so much from people just listening to them...learning about different breeds and training techniques and what is good and bad. This is why I'm not the "best" rep on the floor. I don't bring in the most money, I don't have the most accounts because of the simple fact that I take the time to find out about the breeders needs...how they operate, what their future plans are, what they strive for when breeding. It varies from breed to breed yet it's all similar in it's own ways. The majority of good breeders seem that they are striving for a well rounded dog...show or pet quality. No matter who they are, they want the best for their dogs. My goal is to have a breeder with an ad that is as successful as they want it to be.

Dominic and Tom, I was a LONG time subscriber to Dog World when it was a Maclean Hunter Publication and once Fancy bought it, it became another doo-gooder animal rights lite warm and fuzzy pet oriented magazine. Dog World was originally geared towards the pure-bred dog fancy focusing mainly on conformation, and obedience. They reported recently new champions in each breed and show results from the major shows. Esteemed late writers such as Anna Katherine Nicholas, Max Riddle, Walter Fletcher and others. They reported on the pulse of the true fancy. Dog Fancy was, and is a pet lovers mag with less technical articles. Others are right; most of the breeder ads in there are now larger scale commercial breeders who often advertise "rare" dogs with disqualifying colors, sizes or coats for their breeds. Many reputable breeders who are very discriminating in how the sell their puppies do not need to advertise in a mass media publication next to a breeder that sells Tea-Cup Moxies and Doodles.

Actually it was bought by Prime Media then Fancy Publications, then Bowtie Press. Also again, we do not advertise mixed breeds or designer dogs, see my previous post.

Here is a quote from our Editor-in-Chief on a story in New York Tails:

According to Allen Reznik , editor-in-chief of Dog Fancy and Dog World magazines, "society seems to have become infatuated with labels. Now, the trendy thing is not to have a cocker spaniel mix, but rather a cockapoo or a 'corkie' (cocker-yorkie cross)." Mr. Reznik goes on to say that having a hybrid breed will not insure a dog free of the hereditary problems specific to many purebred dogs.