Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crutiate Surgery and the AKC

Thought I would find out about the rules having to do with Crutiate surgery and showing. I emailed the AKC directly, someone I know there, who went to the awards/show department and they e mailed me back. Below is the answer:

Susan,

The Board Policy states:
"Surgical Procedures (October 1993 Board meeting)
The Board approved the publication of a list of procedures that, undertaken to restore the health of a dog, would not in and of themselves affect a dog's show eligibility. Such procedures would include but not be limited to:

1. The repair of broken legs, even if such procedures involve the insertion of pins, plates or wires.
2. The removal of damaged cartilage.
3. The repair of ligaments that have ruptured or been torn.
4. Caesarean sections.
5. The repair of umbilical hernias.
6. The removal of tumors or cysts.
7. Gastric torsion/bloat surgery.
8. Splenic torsion surgery.
9. Tonsillectomy.
10. Correction of "Cherry Eye" (which involves the gland of the nictitating membrane).
11. Debarking.
12. The removal of dewclaws if a regular practice in the breed."

James Crowley, AKC Executive Sec., has also clarified this by stating:
"Cruciate ligament surgery would not, in and of itself, render a dog ineligible for shows. However, this would not prevent a judge from disqualifying a dog. Each would be handled on a case-by-case basis."

Of course, the judge for that day is the ultimate authority and his decision is final, with regards to the dogs in that ring.

Rules Applying to Dog Shows, Chapter 11, Section 8 clearly states that:
"Procedures that would in and of themselves be considered a change in appearance by artificial means and make a dog ineligible for shows include, but are not limited to:
....9. Surgery for hip dyplasia, OCD, patellar luxation and femoral head resection..."

I point this out because the patella (kneecap) is held in place by the cruciate ligament.
We would expect that you would consider the health and welfare of the dog before competing in any event with a dog who has had this surgery.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further help.
Karla Deithorn,
Special Services
If corresponding to this message, please attach original correspondence.

Re: Crutiate Surgery and the AKC

Susan

Thank you for sharing. It's very informative.

"I point this out because the patella (kneecap) is held in place by the cruciate ligament.
We would expect that you would consider the health and welfare of the dog before competing in any event with a dog who has had this surgery."

I don't get this - apparently this person at the AKC doesn't know dog-leg-geometry. The ligament being repaired/replaced doesn't hold the kneecap in place. Go to this page and look where the ligament is - it's really the CRANIAL cruciate ligament that tears in our dogs. This does not hold the kneecap in place:
http://www.vss.org/html/pages/services/practitioner/tploextende.html

that letter does not jive with the current rules, however.

Since the TPLO involves a surgical alteration of the tibia and the stifle joint, then wouldn't that be considered an artificial change to the dog? Since patellar resection is listed as rendering a dog ineligible for showing, and is a much less extensive surgical procedure than a TPLO (which is more akin to a femoral head resection which is also outlawed), then it is logical that the AKC would say that a TPLO will also render a dog ineligible.

"A dog is considered changed in appearance by artificial means if it has been subjected to any type of procedure that has the effect of obscuring, disguising or eliminating any congenital or hereditary abnormality or any undesirable characteristic, or that does anything to improve a dog’s natural appearance, temperament, bite or gait.
Even procedures which are absolutely necessary to the health and comfort of a dog shall disqualify that dog from competition if the former had the incidental effect of changing or even improving the dog’s appearance, bite or gait.
Procedures that would in and of themselves be considered a change in appearance by artificial means and make a dog ineligible for shows include, but are not limited to:

1. The correction of entropion, ectropion, trichiasis or distichiasis

2. Trimming, removal or tattooing of the third eyelid (nicitating membrane)

3. The insertion of an eye prosthesis

4. Correction of harelip, cleft palate, stenotic nares, or an elongated soft palate resection

5. Any procedure to change ear set or carriage other than that permitted by the breed standard

6. Restorative dental procedures, the use of bands or braces on teeth, or any alteration of the dental arcade

7. The removal of excess skin folds or the removal of skin patches to alter markings

8. Correction of inguinal, scrotal or perineal hernias

9. Surgery for hip dysplasia, O.C.D., patellar luxation and femoral head resection

"Since the TPLO involves a surgical alteration of the tibia and the stifle joint, then wouldn't that be considered an artificial change to the dog? Since patellar resection is listed as rendering a dog ineligible for showing, and is a much less extensive surgical procedure than a TPLO (which is more akin to a femoral head resection which is also outlawed), then it is logical that the AKC would say that a TPLO will also render a dog ineligible."

Unless you get 2 TPLOs on the dog, a single leg that is repaired will either render the dog unbalanced from side-to-side, or not matter at all as the repaired leg will still match the un-repaired leg (no substantial change on the repaired leg). Either way, I don't think it is a huge problem in the show ring as I can't imagine people going and getting double-TPLOs on a dog just to get a better turn of stifle, which would only help if both sides matched!

The rule as published by the AKC does not leave open the option. The simple fact that a TPLO has been performed on a dog, for any reason, would make the AKC position on eligibility applicable. You may chose to observe the rule or not, but the rule is still in effect. It doesn't matter if the scar is visible or not...the surgery has been performed, and that is the basis of the AKC rule.

"A dog is considered changed in appearance by artificial means if it has been subjected to any type of procedure that has the effect of obscuring, disguising or eliminating any congenital or hereditary abnormality or any undesirable characteristic, or that does anything to improve a dog’s natural appearance, temperament, bite or gait.
Even procedures which are absolutely necessary to the health and comfort of a dog shall disqualify that dog from competition if the former had the incidental effect of changing or even improving the dog’s appearance, bite or gait."

Great information. It's nice to see people (Susan) going the extra mile to help all of us. Thanks Susan!

I sent the following e mail off just now, (Bdr - I used your reply here!) will post the response.

Good Morning

Thank you once again for really taking the time to assist with this on going debate. Unfortunately there is still a huge amount of confusion as to where exactly the AKC stands on eligibility on Crutiate Surgery. To be honest, your e mail to me was a little confusing to some that are sincerely trying to understand exactly what the rule is. I have pasted one response, hopefully you or someone can finally clear this up:

"The rule as published by the AKC does not leave open the option. The simple fact that a TPLO has been performed on a dog, for any reason, would make the AKC position on eligibility applicable. You may chose to observe the rule or not, but the rule is still in effect. It doesn't matter if the scar is visible or not...the surgery has been performed, and that is the basis of the AKC rule.

Even procedures which are absolutely necessary to the health and comfort of a dog shall disqualify that dog from competition if the former had the incidental effect of changing or even improving the dog’s appearance, bite or gait."

Very specifically, with respect to TPLO Surgery, Crutiate surgery that is REPAIR due to an injury, NOT an elective surgery for altering gait or appearance, where does the AKC stand on showing a dog? It seems what is written as the AKC "rule" is part of the confusion. As well, please understand the debate is amongst people that are trying to understand in order to show good sportsmanship and do what is correct.

Again, many thanks for your continued support and help.

Susan
MLL

Another reason for confusion in regard to AKC positions on eligibility is the conflicting information issued by the AKC. Specifically #10 (referencing "Cherry Eye" or the nictitating membrane)in the uppermost list is at odds with #2 in the lower list.

Re: Re: Crutiate Surgery and the AKC

LOL, one issue at a time with them.... not sure most over there can handle 2 things at once HAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm lucky, I have someone there I can correspond with and call but she has to forward things to the appropriate people and help out in order to ensure I get information I actually need. Hence, one thing at a time. If you want a Cherry Eye answer... let me know AFTER we figure out this

lol

I pointed that one out since it was the most obvious contradiction. Perhaps since the uppermost list was compiled 15 years ago (before TPLO surgeries were performed) there is no mention of TPLO, but goes into specifics on patellar correction and femoral head resection. Also, femoral head resection might be necessary after an injury to the dog, but AKC does not make that exception. It is specifically listed as making the dog ineligible for showing. You could also say that a dog had an injury to his teeth necessitating the application of braces, bands, etc...what a slippery slope.

not to mention....
"Procedures that would in and of themselves be considered a change in appearance by artificial means and make a dog ineligible for shows include, but are not limited to:

1. The correction of entropion...."

Would tacking of the lower lid (which is then later removed, constitute a "procedure"?

I completely understand what you are saying. In the final analysis they are most likely going to say very clearly, REPAIR surgery from an injury is acceptable in the show ring however it is the judge's final say as to wether or not he/she sees the gait off and if that dog should be disqualified. We have the responsibility to be honest about whatever the "repair" is and not lie or cheat the system. (if you want to call it that). I can't fathom someone doing a surgery like this in order to change a gait, then again what do I know....

I called the AKC and spoke to someone directly. I did this because of something I was reminded of when "bdr" mentioned the word Entropian. As I have not read the rules, I had no idea whatsoever it would make a dog ineligible to show. Suffice it to say this thread and information now has a direct affect on me with a doggie who was going to start showing. I am so bumbed!! On the other hand, this entire conversation is nothing but education and finding out things before mistakes happen. For that I am grateful.

1. Although I have not yet received the e mail, TPLO surgery as I suspected is for repair due to an injury. A dog that has had TPLO or another form of ligament surgery due to an INJURY and is for REPAIR is allowed in the ring. IF a judge however deems the dog off gait, the judge has the right to DQ.

2. Cherry eye.. I asked about this as it's been brought up. Though I do not understand the terms as I am not familiar with it, perhaps you will. If Cherry eye is in one or both eyes and the surgery involves nothing more then correcting the gland, the dog is allowed in the ring. If on the other hand the surgery includes trimming of the membrane, the dog is not allowed in the ring.

3. A dog that has had Entropian surgery, definitely not allowed.

The person I spoke to actually has passed my e mail to someone "higher up" the chain of command and from what I understand the rules as they are written are now being looked at.

Bdr, thank you for your informaiton too. You saved me from making a mistake, would have been an honest mistake, nevertheless a mistake.

Re: Re: Crutiate Surgery and the AKC

That still doesn't address the specific issue of "tacking" which is temporary.