Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Discharge from the eye of a newly opened eye on pup

Anyone ever had discharge from the eyes of a pup that the eyes just opened? I have one pup who's eyes opened yesterday and there is a greenish discharge coming out from it even today :{... what should I do? I tried calling the optamologist and she's out of town till the 2nd of next month! I need to know if I should put drops or ointment in the eye as I do have both.
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Discharge from the eye of a newly opened eye on pup

Was there swelling of the eye before it opened? I've had this happen a few times. The eye needs to be flushed several times a day. You can use an over-the-counter saline solution and mix a little betadine solution in with it so that it looks like a weak tea color.

I would take the pup to the vet asap for a general antibiotic eye cream and make sure it does NOT conatain any cortisone/steriod as this will damage the eye. However, an infection left untreated will also damage the eye especially if it was present before the eye opened. When I bred Cresteds, I had a pup that this happened with and no one knew what to do. We let the eye open and then treated the eye, but the damage had been done to the tear duct and she has had dry eye her entire life. At about the same time my mentor had a similar problem and her vet prescribed an antibiotic with steriods and it blinded that puppy. I had several incidents after this one and had to pry the eye open and start treatment immediately. Both later incidents (one Lab, one Crested) had favorable results and both pups grew up normally.

Good luck!

Dianne

Re: Discharge from the eye of a newly opened eye on pup

I had a pup that was just about a week old - the eyes had not opened and it was oozing a very light green substance that turned into a little crust. I took it to the opth. and it turned out to be 2 different types of infection. One was psuedomonas and one was staff. (we found out days later from a culture). He was on ocuflox 3X a day and a lubricant - sodium hyaluronate 3X a day and warm compresses 3-4 times a day. I hope you can determine what it is. The vet said it was painful for the little guy. Our boy could have really been in trouble if we hadn't gotten the culture done. I looked up the records, as I thought he was on oral antibiotics, too - but I'm not sure.