Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Uncle Ham's Newsletter - Do You Remember?

I'm wondering how many people remember Uncle Ham's Newsletter from back in the 80's and early to mid 90's? It was a really light hearted, fun thing that Ed H. put out (only we weren't supposed to know who Uncle Ham really was). I still have a copy of the issue he put out with a little highlight regarding our foundation bitch after he saw her at the Boston Specialty in '94. Anyway, I thought it might be a fun discussion - if anyone besides dirt is as old as I'm getting to be!!!

Re: Uncle Ham's Newsletter - Do You Remember?

YES!!! Great artist that Ed was, he captured the spirit of the dogs in his cartoons and the t-shirts etc he produced were classics!!

His handsome boy, "Hammy" aka Nancys Boy Hamilton a Mastercraft son was a big, handsome chocolate Champion shown by Wendy MacNaughton........

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, the good old days? There were "old timers" enough to go around for any new person to learn from. It seemed that everyone knew everyone AND there was no internet/websites.

Sometimes I really miss the anticipation of the arrival of a magazine etc. I used to look forward to the great LRCGB Otter Tales packed with stories, articles and a breeder profile in every issue.

Am I old? Getting there

Re: Re: Uncle Ham's Newsletter - Do You Remember?

I remember Uncle Ham too..and I know I'm getting old as witnessed by my ever graying hair:-) Ed donated one of his prints to our Specialty many years ago to the Highest Scoring Chocolate in Open Obedience and I was lucky enough to win it.

OMG, I DO remember!! I bought the "Labrador Lethargy" sleep t-shirt at my first Potomac specialty!!! Seems like centuries ago! (Maybe it was) LOL

Oh yeah!!

I loved his whacked sense of humor. I had one of his sweatshirts.

Well - it turns out it's just his original newsletter that's gone. I wondered whatever became of Ed Touchette, so I googled Uncle Ham and found this:

http://www.unclehams.com

I believe I'll drop him a line.

OMG, memory lane! I still wear one of his nightshirts!

Add me to the group old enough to remember.
Still have well worn tee shirts and sweatshirts of the
Labs on the bed(don't remember the title) and a couple of funny mugs too.
Ahhh!! Those were the days when you could laugh at the silly things and just have fun.

Can't you all just see the effect that one of his sleeping shirts with that cartoon would have as a silent auction item at a Specialty? I can just see all of the newbies huddled there staring and pointing at all us wierd old people laughing and having a grand old time remembering (and bidding against each other as if it were a South African diamond mine!).

Oh, I should have also mentioned that "newbies" in this context might still have quite a few years in Labs under their belts!!!!

I have one of his prints hanging in my hallway. Years ago he wrote and asked if he could use a couple of my pieces in his newsletter and of course I responded in the affirmative. I was very pleasantly surprised when a print arrived by mail.

To funny, what great memories that brings back! Thanks Greg for that trip down memory lane. I needed it!!

Oh my gosh! I sure do! I would *love* to see one of the nightshirts in a silent auction. That would be great!!

Thanks for the "flashback"!

Carla...Which one do you have? I just dug out the one that says "Labradors Are Easy To Live With ...Once You Get The Idea!"
6 Labs on a bed with the human curled up on the floor on a dog bed!

Thanks for the smile on my face.

I haven't been in labs long enough to remember, but I

see the labs on the bed & the human on the floor.

Donna

Re: Re: Re: Uncle Ham's Newsletter - Do You Remember?

Sorry, that last line didn't make sense.
Should have said,but I can just see the labs.....

Donna

"Hammy" was a sweet fellow. I was there the day he got his Junior Hunter title. And Ed's watercolor paintings were wonderful.

I also liked Julie Silverman's (if I remember the name correctly) little whimsical sketches in the LRCGB's "Ottertales" newsletter.

Cathy M.

I have that one Ingrid! Too funny!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Carla...Which one do you have? I just dug out the one that says "Labradors Are Easy To Live With ...Once You Get The Idea!"
6 Labs on a bed with the human curled up on the floor on a dog bed!

I have a couple of Uncle Ham's also. They were great reading , the comics were cute, and Ed was a great guy!!

Will have to dig it out of the closet when I can hobble there!