Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Day 5 of a heat

Remember me? I asked about the young female that was showing odd behaviour just prior to starting her heat?

Well, as I posted on Sunday/Monday, she came into heat. It was 10 months since her last heat cycle.

I have an intact male who showed some interest in her rear, of course, and she was about ready to bite his face off. Yesterday, would have been day 4 of her cycle, and she was flagging for him.

I was planning a natural breeding for her and am waiting for progesterone results from today now, but I am wondering if it is common to have ovulation occur this early in a cycle? I am also wondering if her heat cycle started earlier than when I first saw the blood. She is yellow, so I am sure in my home, I would have seen something on her or on our beige carpets.

It would not even be a thought in my mind if I was planning this breeding to my intact male. But that cannot happen since they are too closely related.
Just looking for experiences.

Re: Day 5 of a heat

yes it can! It can be day 4 or day 22 of her season. Every girl is different, and it's not ever wrong, just different.

My girl started flagging at around day 5-6 so I went to the vet earlier than I would have to see what her progesterone level was - 1.5. She flagged one of my males for about 2 weeks.

Re: Re: Day 5 of a heat

I drew blood on day 5 once and when the results came back they were 5.7 - we bred the next day - 10 puppies. I know that I caught her heat cycle on the first day as I was checking with a tissue daily. The next time I wanted to breed the same bitch I was not as sure that I caught it day one (i think I did) so tested right away - she was not ready until about day 13 - so each bitch is different and the same bitch can be different too! This girl makes it her mission to make me crazy but I love her and she gave me 2 great keepers last time around!
Good luck with your girl.

Re: Re: Re: Day 5 of a heat

Thank you to those that have replied.

Progesterone came back 1.9 so she is just teasing my boy. Maybe if he lifts one paw on her, she may prove she is still not ready but at this point, they are separated. She will be going out tomorrow to the stud owner, who will get her progesterone testings done for me from here on out. Their schedule is a bit all over the place and it will be difficult to hook up when the time screams "NOW".

She is a maiden bitch, so we do not have any pattern to go by but it seems that necessarily would not matter since it is others' experience that it could prove to be different each time anyway.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I was swabbing Tilly every day and no discharge, but she was swollen and flagging the boys through the fence. Did progesterone and sure enough she was ready!