Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pee pee everywhere

I have a mom with a two week old litter and when she gets up from the whelping box the rugs are very wet...She laid on the flood today and a puddle of urine was left~~ very dilute urine...She is drinking A LOT....No temp, eating very well, puppies ok...Do you think it might be a UTI infection?
Will call tomorrow morning but never seen this before???

Re: pee pee everywhere

Easily could be a UTI. I would follow her with a ladle and catch a clean urine sample and put it in a clean container and run it over to the vet for a urinalysis before bringing her in. Save her the stress and germ exposure.

IMO if you do not have her on red raspberry leaves I would put her on them as it helps tighten and tone the uterus and pelvic area. Of course I agree that a trip to the vet could also be in order. Good luck.

It may be that her bladder is streched,drinking more because of room temperature, nursing pups,cleaning her pups, rinsing her mouth out, even if the litter is large or small? Large or small can cause these symptoms. She could just need to go out more. Does she have a fever? Is she leaving the pups and giving her self a break. Does she have access to give herself a break. She will pee outside the box if she feel uncomfortable to leave them for what ever reason or she cant get out.
I give my girls a gaited area in my home, They can roam as they need to with water outside of the box as well as her food. She maybe peeing in the box for no access or fear to leave them. My girls also have their privacy and know her pups are safe with gaits between the hall ways For the first week. I check the tempeture of the bitch every day for the first two weeks. Remember the more she intakes(fluids) the more out put, even with the food.

Re: Re: pee pee everywhere

Yes, I've had two different girls over the years who hated to get up and leave their babies, so they laid there so long then just stretched their bladder so much that they peed right there and almost didn't even seem to realize it, one was less than 24 hrs after a c-section, the other was drinking for and cleaning up after a huge litter. I worried sick about lasting damage, but in both cases, temp was normal and a few days of hourly or every 2 hour potty trips outisde did the trick. I also gave them some yogurt and some cranberry juice. Vet was on stand-by and I'd described symptoms to him, I took in a sample on the one girl and the only thing they found was her pee was very diluted, so clearly, she was drinking lots.

Re: Re: Re: pee pee everywhere

Thanks for all your input...Yes she does have freedom to leave her box, she is in a crated section of our kitchen..Food and water available at all times. I have been taking her out more and no accidents in box today..I will try the cranberry juice..I have had her on the yogurt all along...Also will try the cranberry juice..
How do you administer the raspberry leaves??
To answer you questions yes this was a large litter and I have been taking her temp 2x's a day and the highest it has been is 102.3..
Again thank you so much for your input...