Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
worms

I have a 9wk old pup with coccidia normal stools, my vet says don't worm other say worm? What to do??

Re: worms

Coccidia if not treated can actually end up serious and life threatening. I have never personally heard of a vet saying not to treat if a fecal float turned up positive for this parasite. I would definitely treat.

Coccidia is a parasite, but not a worm. You'll want to treat it with Albon, not wormer. While the stool may not be runny now, it could be later. Also, some dogs are more resistant to the parasite than others. In any case, there is no reason not to treat a 9 week old pup for coccidia when it has been diagnosed.

Re: Re: worms

I realize it's a parasite. I will treat.
Thanks for the input.

I would ask why would you treat if there are no symptoms??? Most adult dogs in large breeder situations have coccidia and are fine. Some pups can handle it as well. Most pups who show symptoms and are treated just get it again anyway. Having said all that, if there are symptoms it does need to be treated. Again and again if necessary until the pup's system is old enough to handle the coccidia.

I personally would not treat a pup with no symptoms. Let the pups's immune system handle it if it can. I would however have some Albon on hand and treat at the first sign of symptoms. It is correct that if it gets out of hand, you could have trouble.

Just because a pup tested positive does not mean much. There are many pups who test negative who clearly have it and need treatment. I think the tests are unrealiable anyway. I am not saying that it may be a false positive. I am just saying the "infestation" may be minor and again, the pup's immune system may handle it just fine. I am also fully realizing, that the first time that pup gets stressed, the opportunistic coccidia might just say YAHOO. Just be ready.....and it may never happen.

I only say to treat it now, even without symptoms, because it is only 9 weeks old and it could become sick if the parasites are allowed to multiply and get worse. Why risk a young pup getting sick when you could just treat it easily? I don't know how many dogs this person has, but if only one or just a couple, it could be brought under control and the pup might not get it again. If it's a kennel or multiple dog situation, than you're correct, it most likely will get it again. I have seen pups that had it seemed fine and in just 48 hours become very ill. To me, it's not worth the risk. I say, if it's that young and you know it has it, treat it. When older, I wouldn't worry, because then can handle it. Just speaking from my experience.

Use fenbendezole, gets worms and cocci. It's just a matter of time before symptoms show. I don't understand why he/she wouldn't treat, did he/she treat?

I can see not detecting it, but I can't see a false positive. Coccidia shows up on a slide, if you see it, you see it. I wouldn't treat with Albon yet either, but I would use the fenbendezole.

I had a 9 week old puppy treated with Albon who developed hyperplastic enamel...and it is known to cause this. My advice, (and I am not a vet!) is to see if your pup's immune system can get rid of it.

What is "hyperplastic enamel"?